• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GIVE US A HISTORY PANEL IN ILLUSTRATOR!

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made several adjustments to image trace that update the image each time, and I want to go back to right before I applied the image trace in the first place. Can I do that? No. There's no way to see where I am in the list of hundreds of steps I've taken tinkering around with this particular image.

I searched through the forums and all I found were MANY people with the same complaint dating back years, and a few condescending and dense users saying that a history panel is pointless and lazy. If you don't like the history panel, don't use it.

For me a history panel saves time and improves my efficiency. I am able to look at the list of steps that I've taken and go back to a specific point in the process WITHOUT HAVING TO HIT CTRL-Z OVER AND OVER! I'm able to identify where I might have hit a keystroke unintentionally. Efficiency and transparency. The list of adobe programs that incorporate history panels is ALMOST ALL OF THEM!

Very frustrated right now. Probably need to go eat something.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

EDIT: Illustratrator 26.4.1 now has a History panel. 

And while I agree with you about the awesomeness of a History panel, Adobe Acrobat and Adobe InDesign do not have it either. When I started using PS over 25 years ago, there was one undo and no History panel. You saved and Reverted to your last actual save. You can still do that in Illustrator. Most Adobe programs that I know of have either multiples undos or a History panel—not both.

Still, fill out the feature request, as it would be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Hi all,

We have bought this feature in our latest release. Please update Illustrator to the latest version (26.4.1) and share your experience with us.

For more details, please refer to this help article.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to reach the Illustrator team is not the forums, but the Feature Request page. You can find it in Help > Submit Bug/Feature Request...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: Illustratrator 26.4.1 now has a History panel. 

And while I agree with you about the awesomeness of a History panel, Adobe Acrobat and Adobe InDesign do not have it either. When I started using PS over 25 years ago, there was one undo and no History panel. You saved and Reverted to your last actual save. You can still do that in Illustrator. Most Adobe programs that I know of have either multiples undos or a History panel—not both.

Still, fill out the feature request, as it would be awesome, and that is the best method to get requests to the Illustrator team.

Best of luck!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

History panel would slow Illustrator performance. Imagine 3d Effect history which will need to run reconstruction for each step. Complex artwork will slow down the apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Power users in PS set the number of History States to 1 to speed performance. The number can be adjusted from 1 to 1000, with the default now set at 50 until it is changed. Surely someone working with 3D in Illustrator would know (or quickly figure out) to set the History States to a low number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Answer Jane!!! (Some guys) would always find excuses for not including the feature 😠!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything else besides illustrator that anyone recommends>?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Farachi wrote:

Is there anything else besides illustrator that anyone recommends>?

Are you asking about other applications that need a History panel (the topic of this thread) or something unrelated? InDesign needs a History panel, if that is what you are asking. If you have a different question, please start a new thread.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

We have bought this feature in our latest release. Please update Illustrator to the latest version (26.4.1) and share your experience with us.

For more details, please refer to this help article.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines