• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glitch? Adding a color to the gradient slider affects other gradients (even on locked layers.)

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user posted recently posted this: Re: filling an object with a gradient affects the last object I filled  and I'm having the same problem. I wanted to share some screenshots of what's happening hoping that someone can help.

Step 1

Create a new document. Shape 1 is a simple gradient in a locked layer. Shape 2 is an orange circle I want to turn into a gradient.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 3.23.20 PM.png

Step 2

I want to turn Shape 2 (orange circle) into a gradient, but I also want to keep the orange color of the shape. I drag the orange fill into the gradient slider. In the past this would only effect the object you had selected. In CC2019 this color is ALSO dropped into Shape 1's (b/w gradient circle) gradient, even though it is still on a locked layer and not selected.

I did some testing and this will affect every shape that shares a gradient with Shape 1. As long as it's an identical gradient each instance of it will have the color orange dropped into it. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 3.23.48 PM.png

Step 3

Whats strange is that if I adjust the position of the new color in the gradient slider, only the gradient of the selected object changes. Similarly, if I change the postion of the colors in the slider before dropping the orange color in it will not affect Shape 1.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 3.23.55 PM.png

This is a frustrating change. The only solution I've found to avoid this is to make a small change to the gradient slider before adding a fill into a gradient which adds an unwanted new step. If there is a setting I can change to stop this please let me know! Or is it a new glitch in the updated CC2019 gradient slider?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an easy to reproduce bug.

You can add your vote here:

Gradient tool changes other gradient as well – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Mention a link to this post in your comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ton, I did as you suggested. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kelsey, I saw that, let's hope that it will attract the attention of the AI development team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I too am having this issue. I'm having to create new throwaway shapes so I'm not changing assets which aren't suppose to be modified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add your vote at the Uservoice page? More votes : higher priority

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce this. Not complaining, mind you, but I wonder what it is that you folks have in common that you have this problem and I don't.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what we have in common, it is simple to reproduce in the most recent version.

Create an object with the default gradient.

Deselect it

Create an object with an orange fill.

Keep it selected and drag th orange fill to the black stop in the Gradient panel.

It changes both the selected and deselected object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay, I get it now. I couldn't seem to follow the OP's instructions. Not a workflow I've ever followed, to drag a color onto the gradient slider without a gradient having been applied to the object first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be honest, I never work that way either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines