• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glow effects look square in Illustrator help!

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Azriella5FCB_0-1646340977651.png

My computer crashed when I was working on this image in Ai. Before that, the glow effects looked fine: small little halos. The settings in Appearances are all correct, the effects are set to the proper amounts, etc. But for whatever reason they look square now and I can't seem to fix it. Help please!

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

This is what I have found as well.. It's actually an application of a Screen effect, so it's being rendered out as a raster object (flattened), even though it's trechnically "clear". My guess is this was accidental, and it does seem corrupted.

I recreated the brush from the ground up, and although mine had exactly the same effects, it worked just fine (which is what she mentioned was the case before the crash)

My guess is, if she reimports the brush from an older "good" file, then deletes and re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, it's a pattern brush. I've tried adjusting the document raster effects to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator is it?

How did you create the halo? Is it in the brush? Or is it an effect applied later?

Can you please select such an object and show us how this object looks in the layers and in the appearance panel?

How large is each of those stars?

How does it look in outline view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lastest version/ update of CC. I made a pattern brush that had the effect already added beforehand. 
This is how it was supposed to look: 

LocketGirl_0-1646681700635.pngLocketGirl_1-1646681746197.png

But with what seems to be the corrupted brush it looked like this:

LocketGirl_2-1646681802841.png

LocketGirl_4-1646681850251.png

the stars are roughly ranging from 1/8" to 3/4"
and this is the outline view:

LocketGirl_5-1646681947065.png

I ended up making the exact brush over again and it worked but I had to go and change every instance. Trying to figure out why this brush got corrupted. It's still like this (i still kept it in the brushes for this file which is how I was easily able to access it and the new one). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. can you share a small sample file with the "corrupted" one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't get the Ai file to attach so i'm attaching it as an editable PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a pixel image inside the brush. Is this how it's supposed to be?

I would just put the shapes into the brush and then add glows or blurs to the path after applying the brush to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is what I have found as well.. It's actually an application of a Screen effect, so it's being rendered out as a raster object (flattened), even though it's trechnically "clear". My guess is this was accidental, and it does seem corrupted.

I recreated the brush from the ground up, and although mine had exactly the same effects, it worked just fine (which is what she mentioned was the case before the crash)

My guess is, if she reimports the brush from an older "good" file, then deletes and replaces the old one, all will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you change your colour mode for the document? Some effects work properly only in RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is in RGB. I hadn't changed anything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines