• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient only showing gray scale

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a colored button in IL CS3, and when I open the gradient box, I am only getting a gray scale option- no colors to choose from. If I go to Color Palette, I can apply only a solid color. Back to Gradient, still only gray...arrgh. I am new to Illustrator but this seems too basic. In tutes I am reading, the Gradient opens with a color palette too. How do I get that? thnx!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drag a swatch on to the gradient slider to set a color or select one of the sliders, go up to color--set you color space in the pull down menu and enter your values there.

Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the flyout menu of the color panel, you need to select the gamut you're working with.

Picture 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I did what you were doing, but all of the options were greyed out. Any ideas why?

FiiVQ8N.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture 3.png

This gradient was greyscale until I dragged the red swatch to the end stop of the gradient (which was black).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Congratulations and thanks. You were the only person who was capable of answering such a simple question, to enlight us how adobe illustator is awesomelly bad in designing tools. This is why I use it only in emergencies, and I belive its such a bad program, like, CorelDRAW always beeen light years from Illustrator. No matter how they try, or due to copyright matters, they are absolutelly unable to implant obvious and intuitive tools. Always there is some sort of bizarre and absurd path to do anything very simples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculously difficult to achieve such a simple task. Why does it default to a grayscale gradient? We should easily be able to pick a starting color and an ending color. Then ancillary controls for opacity, additional gradient stops, and a draggable gradient bias between any two stops.

The same exact control and function is much better in Photoshop--please unify the UX between these tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree. If we start a document in a color mode (RGB/CMYK) it is illogical that the operator must choose the gamut. Better still illustrator should pick the color that the source element is in. For instance if one has a rectangle fill of yellow and one selects the gradient tool it should automatically pick the fill of yellow and gradually fade to white and not the awful choice of black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree totaly. It used to work if you clicked on one of target colors on the gradient tool...usually, it would give me option to change to cmyk. I'm doing it now, and it just reverts back to b&w. Wondering if this is a glitch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's 2018, but in case anybody is looking for this question, you only have to double-click the gradient points (you should have two by default, one black and one white) and this will open up the colour menu, just make sure you have RGB chosen from the popup menu (the icon is three horizontal lines on top of each other) on the color button (I'm sorry I'm also new to this stuff and I don't know the code names for all the elements hahah)

Hope this was helpful in any way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photoshop 13.0

Go to: Image -> Mode -> CMYK colour

Or; when you open a new file tab you can select the Colour Mode there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thomash30042571  schrieb

Using Photoshop 13.0

Go to: Image -> Mode -> CMYK colour

Or; when you open a new file tab you can select the Colour Mode there.

This is the Illustrator forum and you're answering a question from 8 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou. this is what i was looking for🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines