• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

graph design - illustrator error patterns and designs cannot contain graphs

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a graph in Illustrator and want to select New Design. However, I receive the error "patterns and designs cannot contain graphs." All I can do is cancel.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. I'm very new to creating Illustrator graphs. Just realized I need to make the object first and then select new design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish you would tell us how you fixed the problem. I'm following in your footsteps and can't seem to get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already read this?

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/graphs.html

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P66sEGEqYbI

If it still does not work, please show what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Monika. I've discovered all this on my own and got things to work.

My confusion was due to the fact that Step 2 in the description of "Add Totals to a Column Design" doesn't say that you have to create a model bar for a column graph, you don't just select one of the bars in the graph you have created.

For those who follow in my footsteps, it would be nice if there were just a checkbox to add values above or within the bars. Instead you have to create a model bar with labels, indicate where the bar is to be stretched (if you don't want the label stretched), and apply a new graph style to the bars. The steps that describe this part are in the video above, which saved me today, but are also in Create a Sliding Column Design on the graph page cited above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post feature requests to https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines