• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Green symbol on cursor prevents drag copying...???

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to Illustrator 26.1 on an Intel iMac running OS 10.15.7, and this new problem cropped up. Frequently, when I am attempting to drag copy an object (mouse select + option key), a strange symbol consisting of a bright green circle containing a white "+" (plus sign) appears on the cursor. When this symbol is present, on releasing the mouse button at a new position, the object snaps back to its original postion — it is neither copied nor moved. This occurs frequently, but not always. It makes it extremely frustrating to work when one has to repeat the same operation 6 or 8 times to get it to stick.

BTW I have been using Illustrator regularly since version 3.0, so my muscle memory is pretty deeply entrenched.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Hi @Jonathan5ECF,

We are sorry for this experience and trouble. I would like to inform you this issue has been completely addressed in v26.5 and above. Please update and let us know if the issue persists. Also, this issue was associated with the magic mouse only.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are other things related to Monterey, please refer to this post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/cannot-save-on-macos-12-3/m-p/12820262#M31418...

And then please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using Monterey, and I am not having an issue with saving files, so I fail to see how this link is relevant. ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika is incorrect, this is not specific to Monterey. According to a post from an Adobe employee, there's something wrong with the 26.1 update that causes an issue specifically when using Apple's magic mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. I searched for this topic before posting, but unsurprisingly my key words were somewhat different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a bug report relevant to this issue at https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/44914921-v26-1-...

A user points out that the odd green cursor is the MacOS Finder "copy cursor" (which you have probably seen many times, but not inside an Illustrator document while performng an Illustrator operation). So that provides a clue, that the mouse/keyboard clicks are somehow getting through to the OS. This would seem to be definitely a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue since pretty recently. I'm on Big Sur 11.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I haven't seen it yet on my Big Sur install, but you are now not the first I've heard experience it outside of Monterey.

That being said, Big Sur just updated to 11.6.5 so if this has been happening for you since then, it may be a system-induced bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered that as well. I'll see if updating to that (or to Monterey helps). thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has found the solution to this issue.  I have been experiencing this issue for about a week or so and it's been driving me crazy, just found this post as I couldn't take it anymore.  I lead a team of creatives and no one else is having this issue, everyone is using apple's magic mouse but I am the only one with the M1 chip, that's the only difference.  

Wen't through the link in one of the comments and someone mentioned they switched to a different mouse, was that really the solution?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far this has been reported on Monterey, Big Sur, and Catalina, and with and without the Apple Magic Mouse, and on both M1 and Intel chips. So I think we can conclude the following:

1. It affects multiple versions of MacOS (therefore, not an OS bug)

2. It is not dependent on mouse choice (therefore, not a hardware or hardware driver bug)

3. It is not dependent on CPU (ditto)

4. It ONLY appeared after the 26.1 update to Illustrator...

... therefore, it is an Illustrator-induced bug. Hello, Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, been waiting for Adobe to release an update, guess that's wishful thinking at this point. 

For the heck of it I have been playing around with just using my Wacom tablet and haven't run into the issue (fingers crossed) yet.  Still not the most ideal work around though but it's something.  Not sure why some are having this issue and some aren't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mvheim @DuckCreatives @MeaganWeber,

We are sorry for the trouble. The product team is working hard on this, and the fix will be released with the next update.
The + sign icon while dragging the object in Illustrator only happens with the Apple Magic mouse.

I would request you all to upvote this UserVoice if not done already, and please be patient & stay tuned for the updates.

In the meantime, you may downgrade to Illustrator v26.0.3 until the fixed gets released. (This helped some users.)

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mvheim @DuckCreatives @MeaganWeber,

I am glad to inform you that this issue has been fixed in the latest Illustrator update, v26.2.1, released yesterday. I would request you to update and let us know if the issue persists.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having this issue. I am using Illustrator 26.4.1 on Big Sur 11.6.8. I am using a Magic Mouse and my MacBook Pro is from 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I was having the same issue with 26.2.1, 26.3.1 fixed it but with that latest version that bug came back.  I had to downgrade back to 26.3.1, beware if you do so though, Adobe deletes all of your user settings, I would save off your presets before downgrading, super annoying!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 
@DuckCreatives @Emmie150

We are sorry for the trouble. This is a known issue with Magic Mouse on Mac devices while working on Ai v26.4.1.

The product team is aware of this & they have identified the issue and currently working on a fix. I would request you to upvote this UserVoice for updates.

In the meantime, I would request you to please be patient & stay tuned for the update, and as a workaround, you may install the older version of Ai v26.3.1.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

#Marking it correct to highlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this issue is annoying as can be. Just another on the long list of never gonna get fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Jonathan5ECF,

We are sorry for this experience and trouble. I would like to inform you this issue has been completely addressed in v26.5 and above. Please update and let us know if the issue persists. Also, this issue was associated with the magic mouse only.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines