Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand drawn Cartoon...convert to Vector?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello...

Years ago, I scanned a cartoon drawn by a deceased friend (a really gifted cartoonist)...opened it in (then Illustrator 2003 I believe); & w/ the help of the Illustrator community...coverted the pen strokes into vector lines...then smoothed them...selected various line weights, etc.  When completed...it was absolutely beautiful...made the original look like a corporate trademark...that good.

I need to do that again, but I recently began using Illustrator 2021 (&... have a really shi_ty memory).  I was hoping someone here would know of a tutorial or some knowledgebase doc that could help me get started in DW 2021.  [This cartoon is B&W only, so I won't have to worry about fill color, etc.]

thanx,

mwf

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make that..."help me get started w/ this task in Illustrator 2021"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's how the feature works

https://helpx.adobe.com/de/illustrator/how-to/brewery-label-design.html

The options explained:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/image-trace.html

How to optimize

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/image-trace-results-optimization.html

The feature is mostly unable to generate center lines.

So what you can do to later change the thickness of some of the lines is to use Object > Path > Offset path with negative respectively positive values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika...

So...I opened the raster image in Illustrator...did the image tracing...saved the illustrator file...went back in; & couldn't select any anchor points unless I hit the EXPAND button on the Properties dialog.  So I did that, then added additional anchor points; & it looks like this:

Image2

but now...my Smooth Tool doesn't work to the extent I'd like it to.  For example...see the squarish outline at the very bottom turn on the letter 'N'?...I am trying to round that squarish look, but the Smooth Tool just seems to manipulate whats there in a very limited way.  Is there a way to set the smooth tool properties, to make it more responsive?

thanx,

mwf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind...I figured out how to actually change the path shapes w/ the Pencil Tool; & then smooth that out w/ the Smooth Tool...jumping back & forth in that manner.
thanx for all help,

mwf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver has NEVER converted graphics.  However once converted to SVG, you can edit the code in Dreamweaver to create something more interactive for use on the web. 

[Moderator moved from Dreamweaver to Illustrator.]

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines