• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has the Hand Tool been altered to H in illustrator? I've always used spacebar!

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone to keyboard shortcuts and still can't change it to spacebar.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

2 ways to use the Hand tool:

With a tool other than the Hand tool active, press-hold Spacebar, and click-hold/drag to pan with the Hand tool, then release (Spacebar) to return to previously active tool.

Tap H to activate the Hand tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hand tool has always been H.

The spacebar is a modifier key that will still work.

And if it doesn't work, you will have to search elsewhere for the solution.

Try and shut down all other apps (yes, this includes your browser)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 ways to use the Hand tool:

With a tool other than the Hand tool active, press-hold Spacebar, and click-hold/drag to pan with the Hand tool, then release (Spacebar) to return to previously active tool.

Tap H to activate the Hand tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MrRedGuy  wrote

I've gone to keyboard shortcuts and still can't change it to spacebar.

Don’t worry that you can’t change the shortcut. Spacebar still works as long as you don’t have your Type tool with an insertion point. If you do, press Escacpe first to go to your selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If holding down the spacebar no longer works, let us know what OS & Illustrator version you have. We will need to know any system modifications  which may have may be taking over the spacebar (eg: Wacom driver version), antivirus, clipboard enhancers, Illustrator plug-ins).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My spacebar suddenly fails to invoke the hand tool, and no matter what I do I cannot get it to work again. H is not how I've used it, and I've been using Illustrator for about 20 years.

macOS 10.13.6 , Illustrator CC 2018, no system modifications that should affect this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

benwexlar  schrieb

no system modifications that should affect this

Then which system modifications do you have?

Also: when was your last computer restart?

Does this work when you shut down everything (yes, your browser as well) and launch only Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The system modifications are implemented by the firm, and include things like network security protocols. Nothing that has affected this before.

Tossing prefs, resetting workspace, changing shortcuts did nothing. Good news is that quitting all other applications restored normal behavior. I reboot regularly too, but even that did nothing.

For some reason, when I have a browser open (required for regular email at work), the hand tool with space bar sometimes stops working. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

benwexlar  schrieb

For some reason, when I have a browser open (required for regular email at work), the hand tool with space bar sometimes stops working. Weird.

I suspected that. It's a known issue that browsers mess with modifier keys. Sometimes it helps to launch Illustrator before you launch the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try quitting safari and all other apps.

Spacebar not working as quick hand tool – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

I am running  exact same OS and AI version, and spacebar shortcut works for me.

Your keyboard >> shortcuts  are often where keyboard shortcut conflicts occur so check all of these, especially AppShortcuts where some custom ones can get installed. Since you cannot assign spacebar by itself here am somewhat doubtful, but please check anyhow.Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 8.51.56 AM.png

Check what your employer installed for anything out of ordinary, and if there are settings for keyboard shortcuts for those. My only out of ordinary prefs are circled in red. Magnet has been know to cause your issue.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 8.54.35 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spot on

Once I closed the outlook email app the Hand tool worked with Space bar

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my spacebar just stopped working for pan in the middle of the day today. I'm on Adobe 2022, ahd have tried closing all other applications as well as restarting my computer. The "Reset" option in the tool bar is greyed out. I have also tried resetting Illustrator while opening it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my spacebar just stopped working for pan in the middle of the day today. it.

By @Yvonne2751044438i8

You will have to search  for a third party app that is intercepting and stealing your key presses. It's likely that it's a browser but it's not limited to browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can use the "H" and "SPACE" options.

Ekran Resmi 2018-10-08 22.02.19.png

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi simple solution is reset your all tools in preferences all will be good to go...Thanks.

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to change from hold space bar to hold scroll button on mouse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Gunawan331348757n9r  schrieb:

how to change from hold space bar to hold scroll button on mouse?

Nothing has changed in Illustrator. But maybe you have changed a lot of stuff in your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines