• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having an Unkown Error [STEX]

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when ever i made some shape and fill color in it and try to move it show me the error

The operation cannot be complete beacuse of an unknown error. [STEX]

It happens every time from when i installed latest version of illustrator (v 23.0.1)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get this error whenever I try to use the new gradient tool in either points or lines mode. Just updated Illustrator to latest version 5min ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah i also get this error in the same condition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about the delay. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, I would request if you can share a few more details like:

• Operating System(Exact version of Windows/MAC)
  • Please confirm where the files are saved(Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)

Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this problem on Macbook Pro 15 inch Mid-2015

• Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2

• Saved on System Hard Drive (not external, not server or shared)

• Illustrator version 23.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started for me today and I updated awhile ago.  I am running Windows 10 and saving on an external hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry about this issue. I would request both of you please share the reproducible steps or a small video of the issue. This will help us investigate this issue and find out the root cause of it.

Kate, I would request if you can try saving on Desktop (system drive) and let us know if that helps or not.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I click on the object.  I go to change the color of one point on the new freeform gradient tool.  It lets me select it.  I click on the new color I want it to be, and Illustrator gives me the warning that it can't do it because of an unknown error [STEX] and then Illustrator crashes and closes. It also does this when I try to MOVE a color point on the new gradient tool.

It does NOT matter where I save it to.

I created a new document and made a square to color it with the new tool just to test.  It didn't do it.  So it's something to do with the specific doc I'm working with....

I'm three days behind on a job.  I'm pulling my hair out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closed the test file, opened it again, and changed the color.  Still no problem...just the file I actually NEED TO GET DONE ASAP.  Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kate,

Will it be possible for you to share the file? If yes, please upload it to Creative Cloud/ Google Drive/ Dropbox and share the direct download link.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I messaged you with the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the file. We are looking into it.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 7 month since this post. The issue is not fixed. Is there any solution to this? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello my illustrator also has the same problem and I tested it on another device also gave the same problem, this message keeps appearing when I do some work with gradient and I verified that it is only in the latest version 28, why is it like this?Captura de tela 2023-12-13 171123.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHen was the last time you rebooted the system?

Can you share the system specifications?

How is color management set up?

Does it get better with CPU preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Felipe34246376ctnt,

It seems like you are encountering an issue with the "Unknown Error [STEX]" in Illustrator when working with gradients. This could be related to compatibility issues with older files created in previous Illustrator versions.

To address this, you can try the following steps:

• Expand or Expand Appearance: Select the object or shape with the gradient, go to the "Object" menu, and choose either "Expand" or "Expand Appearance." This action converts the gradient into editable objects and might resolve the issue.

• Recreate Gradient: If expanding doesn't work, consider recreating the gradient using the Gradient tool or Gradient panel. Create a new gradient on a duplicate object and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, please provide additional details, such as whether it occurs with specific files or all files. This information will help in providing more accurate assistance.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is this issue resolved? I am having the same problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I had this error too, I just copy and pasted my file onto a new document and it worked fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this Error today and I lost 2 days of work. I thought I had saved between changes, but I see that nothing was saved since I first opened the file. After the error, I could not save the file in .AI or any other format, or as a new file. I was able to save as an .svg but cannot open the .svg in Illustrator and when I view the svg in a browser it looks odd.. This just sucked the soul out of me. I have a Windows 10 computer, I keep all software up to date. The file was saved on my computer's HDD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'd recommend following the troubleshooting steps suggested on this community post & let us know if they help.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's 2022 and I'm having this issue. It's only on the files where I have multiple gradient tools going on. I've reset preferences, checked for updates, and I'm on a new Mac with the latest OS. I need this to work. It's what I'm paying for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Heather24953418987p,

We are sorry for the trouble. Would you mind checking if expanding or expanding the object's appearance helps?

Also, is this happening while moving a freeform gradient applied object? Does its color shift after moving it to another location? Would it be possible for you to share the file with us?

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muy buenas noches, tengo una posible solución a un problema similar que me pasó. Tenia un archivo en formato SVG el cuál edité, luego de la edición no pude abrirlo. Logré recuperarlo. 

Si alguien interasado le comparto el enlace

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13744422/illustrator-svg-export-not-working-namespace-prefix-ink... 

Si tienen alguna duda pueden escribirme .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Es útil publicar su respuesta en el mismo idioma que la persona que hizo la pregunta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines