• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help automate arrowhead creation >

Participant ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a line that imports into Adobe Illustrator as from an SVG. I do this via the Place command. It has certain coordinates that are specific to automation. I mean by automation that the line is created to our needs by other software. Once Placed in Illustrator, the line states path, as determined by the Appearance Panel.

I want to have a fast way to apply an arrowhead to the line. I went to the stroke part of properties and did so. To use this again, I made it into a Graphic Style. I see it there and in the Appearance Panel. Now my problem is when I create a new item from SVG, it sometimes does not have the same color. Then when I apply my arrowhead Graphic Style, the color changes. Is there a way to only apply the arrowhead and not the other properties of the stroke?

I explained the Placing of the SVG because I figured I might get some workarounds about getting an arrowhead on this line. Any ideas are welcome. I wish I could bring the SVG in with an arrowhead. However, when I let the other software create the SVG with an arrowhead I cannot properly drag the arrow (via Direct Selection Tool) where it needs to point. It skews and loses its shape. When I do it by adding Illustrator stroke property, it orientates correctly and is perfect in every way.

Ultimately I would want a way to get an arrowhead I want that can be applied to any color line and further automate my process with something like an Action. Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting , Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you record an Action while adding your arrow heads the color is not recorded. If the line size is always the same it should work with an Action alone, no graphic style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the reply and the super info. I say super because I would have never found that out if I did not ask the question here. I expected an experienced expert like yourself to know ways around any limitations. Great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty easy to create an action that is not dependent on one specific stroke weight.

But you may perhaps provide one of your original files, so one can take a look at them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Kurt, what CarlosCanto suggested works great. It is just like he said. And I am sure you are saying the same thing. Not totally obvious that actions can do that. However, it makes good sense. This whole endeavor is going to get me more into Actions. I do not use them often, and now I will. Thanks for the reply. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines