Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help please

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I am new around here and am struggling to do something so super simple and I am not sure why in all honesty. I am trying to import and image that I have taken from my computer into illustrator however everytime I try to put it into the app a little pop up comes up saying that it can not be done and the file is unreadable (or something along them lines) I am not sure how I am ment to get my photos into this app and can't seem to find anything on google that is helping me. 

I am also using a windows computer as well. If someone could please help me that would be really great and I would appericate it.

Thanks 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Also remember NOBODY can open images in Illustrator. It doesn't do that. Place them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

It may be a Canon raw file (.CR2), in which case you need to convert it to something like a jpeg first before you can use it in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of image is this about?

What is the exact error?

What exactly are you doing? Opening that image or placing it in an AI file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willing to bet it's a 16 bit phone image. Try opening in Photoshop and resave as a regular 8 bit image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your assumptions which couldn't be more wrong! 

This is a place to offer support and guidance I thought.  Actually photo was captured on a Canon camera thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are reading in some sort of put-down where, clearly, none was intended.

The support and guidance was that a 16 bit image would have to be re-saved at 8-bit in order to place it into Illustrator.

Since you gave no informtion about your image, and since phone images these days are often of reasonable quality, and are often incorporated into professioanl work, it was not unreasonabele to suggest that you might been using a phone image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a Canon raw file (.CR2), in which case you need to convert it to something like a jpeg first before you can use it in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok yes that makes sense. I'll give that a try. I'll need to figure out how to convert first haha. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to do a digital illustration 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific. Also, since you say into this app, are you talking about the desktop or ipad app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to do a digital illustration and I am doing it on my windows laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't paraphrase messages. Exact details are what we need. Maybe a screen shot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also remember NOBODY can open images in Illustrator. It doesn't do that. Place them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaah ok thank you for that I didn't realize that I am just brand new to illustrator and I couldn't find anywhere to help me. 

I am trying to do a digital illustration 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you taking the image into Illy? What are you doing with it there? What are you saving/exporting as?

What file format does the "app" require? It's Tinder isn't it... ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am actually wanting to do a digital illustration 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is a place to offer support and guidance I thought"

From what? "I'm wanting to do a digital illustration"

You only get out what you put in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question has been answered! People on this site are actually so rude! If you have a question just ask it. Go and be a negative nancy somewhere else please. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to the people who actually helped my question has now been answered! You all have a lovely day 😊 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that your problem was solved. Don't hesitate to ask here again if you need help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines