Exit

Helping in clipping background and text objects

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all !

I hope you are doing well !

I'm struggling to clip a background object and a text.

I want a text object to be hidden by the background. (the file 'result-expected' shows the final result expected)

Right know I have my background and my text objects. (see actual-objects.png)
I don't know how to do so.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Benjamin,

As I (mis)understand it, you can just move the background up above the text in the stacking order (expanded Layers panel).

If it is more complicated than that, you can copy (a part of) the background and move it up just above the text, then change the colour to (full) black and select both, then click Make (Opacity) Mask (Transparency panel) with both Clip and Invert Mask unticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin,

As I (mis)understand it, you can just move the background up above the text in the stacking order (expanded Layers panel).

If it is more complicated than that, you can copy (a part of) the background and move it up just above the text, then change the colour to (full) black and select both, then click Make (Opacity) Mask (Transparency panel) with both Clip and Invert Mask unticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

The first suggestion won't work because it's a fixed pattern taken from an image (with noise reduction).

But I managed to do so by creating a path starting from the bottom of the paper journal and using the Mask feature !   Thanks !

Helped me a lot and learned me a lot too !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, Benjamin.

If you look further into the Opacity Mask, you will find that it can do as a Clipping Mask, and the opposite, and anything in between, and then some. And unlike a Clipping Masks it is all about appearance, and less demanding with regard to structure/composition, hence often easier to work with when both kinds might be used, an important part being that it is often easier to create a Group than a Compound Path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines