Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High-resolution SVG image becomes grainy when placed on a letter-sized board

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have an SVG file, which I would like to edit in Illustrator to create a figure for a scientific manuscript. I need it to fit on a letter sized paper and then adjust the fonts of the textual elements to make sure they remain readable. If I just open the file in Illustrator by double-clicking it, it shows artboard size of 4152x4206 pt, while the letter size artboard template is 612x792 pt. If I try to scale the artwork down to fit on a letter sized board, it becomes grainy. I don't have this issue when importing the same artwork from a png file, but then the text is not editable. What should I do?

Thanks!

Yury

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Did you check the Scale Strokes and Effects option in the Transform panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are getting vectors from your svg file without a problem? Have you tried File>Open to see if there is a difference? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using SVG, is this a printed manuscript or a web page? I do not see a screenshot of your art, so do not know if you have a placed bitmapped going outside the artboard or mush else I can troubleshoot by or comment on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be best off saving to .ai format and then exporting a second file to .png since that worked in past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @michelew83603738 and @Mike_Gondek , for your responses. Here are two screen shots. One is what the art looks like when opened directly by double-clicking the file or through the File > Open menu. The other is what it looks like when I try to scale it down to fit a letter-sized artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yury,

For one thing, the duller colour in the second screenshot seems to imply that you are working in CMYK Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check the Scale Strokes and Effects option in the Transform panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, @Ton Frederiks ! Checking that option solved my problem. 

@Jacob Bugge you were also correct. I did need to switch the artboard color scheme to RGB to preserve the original colors of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my small part you are welcome, Yury.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines