• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a pattern swatch using objects filled with a texture pattern?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am relatively new to illustrator so bear with me.

I would like to create a repeating pattern by dragging over a design into the swatches menu. I set up my art board however some objects contain a texture pattern fill I previously created. It is my understanding that you cannot create a pattern with objects that contain a pattern. However, are there any work arounds to this? For example how do I "finalize" the object texture pattern so that they are individual editable shapes instead of simply a fill? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenn,

You can not nest things like patterns inside pattern or symbols inside symbols. Do not even try the nested symbol as a test as I think that crashes your computer in the past.

Use  Object >> Expand on the pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on the texture and then go object>expand the art board disappears and none of my layers are visible. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is your texture pattern a vector or bitmap? If it is a bitmap, you may need to do an image trace. If it is vector, if you post an image so we can see what is happening, that would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines