Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create this colorful background

Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was scrolling through google for inspiration and found a poster I want to reccreate. How do I get the confetti-like background?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

This is made with multiple scatter brushes applied to a freeform path. A Zig Zag effect is applied to the path.

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 8.42.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v,

As I (mis)understand it, you wish to have what is more or less termed a spray of (more or less) random symbols/shapes.

It can take a lot of time to make such a mess, but I believe there are scripts to easily spray random symbols from a larger set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jacob already alluded, you may use one of the various scripts that can do random distributions of a given selection that consists of different shapes or symbol instances.

Also, Illustrator does offer a couple of ways to randomly distribute things (for example Transform Each, Scatter Brushes or the built-in Symbol tools).

Another funny but useful way would be to buy a packet of confetti (or do the confetti yourself), throw it wildly into the air in front of a single-coloured background and have a good photographer that is able to capture the confetti fireworks. Then you may use that photo as your background. A little bit of luck, and the photographer way may be the most convincing approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is made with multiple scatter brushes applied to a freeform path. A Zig Zag effect is applied to the path.

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 8.42.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice to see that you are still there and alive, Doug.

Due to some kind of forum bug one cannot enlarge your attachment at the moment, but even the small preview shows that it is a very good approach.

Sometimes Illustrator's capabilities to randomise things are a bit underrated and more often than not it is assumed that one definitely needs a script, but often no script is required at all, just some insight about the possible built-in ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kind of you, Kurt. To the best of my knowledge I am here and alive. I continue to follow the threads regularly but weigh in only when I have something useful to say. As always, I'm quick to read what you and Monka contribute, as it's always enlightening and inventive. So much more to be learned by listening than speaking sometimes.

Be well, Dr. Gold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I once did a similar kind of design.

Cut out colored pices of paper and put them on my scanner. The scattered parts of that around in the design.

For yours if you get the arrange right on the scanner, then editing it afterwards migh noch be necessary.

You could scan several different ones, then stack them in Photoshop and add different blurs to them to simulate depth.

It could help to scan them with a color background already in place. Even if you remove that background later when editing, it gives the confetti the correct color along the fringes.

Also put the logo on it, then add some bits in front of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines