• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i make a selection so that i can cut and paste

Explorer ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so i'm looking to basically make a selection of a small part of a larger pattern, cut it out so i can paste elsewhere. For the life of me i can't figure this out because of course if i select something it brings up all the paths of the entire design. I'm trying to make a border and i downloaded the vector and i just want to cut the corner off the pattern so i can rotate and cut and paste it. 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are talking about a pattern from the Swatches panel, just drag the pattern swatch out of the Swatches panel onto your artboard and edit the part you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, what it is is this 70's style border that i got off adobe stock. the banner is in the shape of an L so i just want to cut off the corner so i can cut and paste the border to surround some text. I thought Illustrator would have a tool like photoshop where you simply make a selection with a tool and then cut and paste elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing what you have and what you want it is difficult to give advice. Please show something selected with an expanded layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres a shot of what i'm looking at, basically that corner piece of the border i want to select that so that i can move it to the page i'm working on, the end goal is to have a full border around some text. So how can i just select the piece i want and copy and paste to the artboard i'm working on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tavorguy,

For that appearance I would suggest a completely different approach, such as this or something with the same result:

1) Create a set of filled/stroked paths with those same colours, the whole set having the same height as the border, the width does not matter;

2) Create a nostroke/nofill rectangle with the same height and width and place it right under the set from 1) and Group (optional), then turn the whole thing into an Art Brush;

3) Create a live (or expanded rounded) rectangle with a Stroke Weight of 1pt and adapt it to fit round the text (or whatever), inlcuding  the desired corner roundings, in the same way you would fit the inner rim of  the border;

4) Apply the Art Brush to the path from 3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the image for Jacobs explanation 🙂

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 00.43.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob, I was making this at the same time as you were describing this, nice cooperation...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Ton.

I believe we shall soon have to attend to other duties, in the dark hours, before the sun is up again, and catches us out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, it took me a few times reading it but i think i get the gist of what you're saying, i'm still so new to illustrator a brush never occured to me. For step 4 though, the art brush, what am i doing that for? I'm not familiar with that tool yet. If I have this correct basically, match the colors from the original vector (i assume the dropper will be used for that? i'll youtube it), then once i have those colors i can make a rounded rectangle with the tool, and round out the corners. Then would i make multiple borders with each color i want and then turn it into a brush? Is that about right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you can use the eyedropper to copy the colors and apply them to the 5 rectangles. When done, just drag the rectangles together to the brushes panel and choose Art Brush. Set the direction horizontal and click OK. When you have created your rounded rectangle you just select the brush for your stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tavorguy,

As I (mis)understand it, tou can just work on a copy of the stock artwork in the same way that Ton explained for the dragged out pattern swatch. You may need to start by releasing a Clipping (or Opacity) Mask or Ungroup or something to get to the desired individual parts.

To get help with that, you will need to do what Ton said next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines