• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i move a single anchor point handle without copying the layer?

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

From my understanding, to drag 1 handle of an anchor point without moving the other you hold down alt. This works, but it is also creating a duplicate of the entire shape the anchor point is on. How do I avoid this from happening?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which tool are you using and exactly what are you doing step by step?

The Alt key works when you use the pen tool.

For the direct selection tool, press Alt, then grab the handle and drag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is with the direct selection tool and i'm using it exactly as you're describing. I am having trouble replicating it on demand now but it is happening relatively frequently. It might be a bug but next time it happens i'll post in here exactly what it is i'm doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me sometimes, although I bet I couldn't replicate it on demand! I think it's caused when my coordination with clicking the mouse and holding the Alt key are slightly out of sync, or if my hand moves ever so slightly when I've got the Alt key pressed so Illustrator thinks "Aha! She wants to copy the whole shape, not just mess with the handles!"

I don't think it's a bug - at least I've not considered it to be a bug. I've always put it down to my hand control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been happening quite regularly for me recently and when it does the same action causes it to happen repeatedly. If i remember correctly it then works if i click and hold mouse button on the point, then hold alt without moving the cursor, and then i can move the cursor and it works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have times where it happens a lot and others where I get it right. I think of it like other tasks I do regularly: I get a bit lazy or too rushed and my click and hold is slightly off in its timing. In my case, I've also noticed it can happen more when my mouse needs a clean or the batteries are low. 

The fact that no one else has chimed in seems to confirm that it's not a bug as such, just that the sensitivity of Illustrator is a bit pernickety for some of us 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, it's manageable, just a little annoying sometimes 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Press alt, say one hippopotamus (you don't have to say it out loud, it works either way), select the handle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines