• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I move text after a mask is applied?

Participant ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I applied a texture using a clipping mask to some text, but now I can't seem to move the text. If I try to select it the texture is selected instead. I looked in layers and it just has <Opacity Mask><Compound Path>. 

TOPICS
Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeljohnssp,

My guess is that you will have to Release at least the Opacity Mask, maybe also the Compound Path depending on the structure; but you can start with the former and see whether your text becomes visible (in the Layers palette) and movable.

My second guess is that you can make a Clipping Mask instead, and then you can move the text about, if you deselect and ClickDrag the text with the Direct Selection Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So would it be best to complete a design fully and apply a texture last? Once the text is placed in its final position. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you perhaps show what this is about? It's not clear if the text is the mask or is inside the mask. And also: what do you want to move?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried going to the Outline mode (View>Outline) and using the Direct Selection tool (white arrow) to select the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jeljohnssp,

"So would it be best to complete a design fully and apply a texture last? Once the text is placed in its final position."

I (mis)understood the original description, aldo based on your mentioning clipping mask & Opacity Mask & Compound Path, to mean that you:

A) Started out with some text, then

B) Placed some paths on top of the text and turned them into one ompound Path, then

C1) Made a(n) Opacity Mask, instead of

C2) Making a Clipping Mask.

My first guess/suggestion was to release the Opacity Mask C1) and move the text, the next one was to apply a Clipping Mask C2) instead, because with a Clipping Mask you still have (literally) direct access to the text (deselecting and then moving the text with the Direct Selection Tool) and see what is showing inside the Mask as you move the text for best appearance.

Based on the (mis)understanding(s) there is no need to complete the design first and text last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines