• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove everything outside of a certain object

New Here ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I remove all the roads outside of this shape? I try to use minus back but I just get back wonky lines.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Maxwell,

Sorry, I overlooked the fact that you seem to have an area between an outer and an inner red path, which means that the single closed path has to be the Compound Path formed by the two.

You can:

1) Make sure that the inner path is above the outer path in the stacking order shown in the expanded Layer in the Layers panel (it is not necessary, but reduces the number of possible things to do in 2);

2) Select both the inner and the outer red path, then Ctrl/Cmd+8 (hold Ctrl/Cmd and pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maxwell,

Unless you mean delete, how about just using the shape as a Clipping Mask, presuming it is a single closed path?

The shape path is clearly on top of everything else, so you ought to be able to just select eveything, then hold Ctrl/Cmd and press 7.

But You also ought to be able to use Shpe Builder or Live Paint,

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/creating-shapes-shape-builder-tool.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/atv/cs5-tutorials/creating-complex-art-with-the-shape-builder-to...

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/live-paint-groups.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm pretty new to this. How would I go about doing that. I'm trying to make it so only the roads in between the two red lines show. It should look something like this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maxwell,

Sorry, I overlooked the fact that you seem to have an area between an outer and an inner red path, which means that the single closed path has to be the Compound Path formed by the two.

You can:

1) Make sure that the inner path is above the outer path in the stacking order shown in the expanded Layer in the Layers panel (it is not necessary, but reduces the number of possible things to do in 2);

2) Select both the inner and the outer red path, then Ctrl/Cmd+8 (hold Ctrl/Cmd and press 8) to form a Compound Path; if that fails press Ctrl/Cmd+Z, then click Minus front in the Pathfinder panel;

This ought to give you the Compound Path to use for the Clipping Mask;

3) Select everything and Ctrl/Cmd+7.

This ought to form the clipping set where everything outside the area within the Compound Path is hidden.

You can use an Opacity Mask instead of a Clipping Mask, but that requires more steps.

And you can still use the Shape Builder/Live Paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jacob! It worked great. It's exactly what I wanted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, Maxwell.

And welcome to this forum which is full of friendly helpers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines