Copied

2022.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking on learning how to splice the words together, deviated diesel & bubby whips through the 2022, i did this design on the cricut software but can not figure out how to do it on the adobe illustrator program. i have google and i think i might be using the wrong verbage or something i can not figure it out or find a video on how to.. HELP!

Tiff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it must look like your sketch.

In the Appearance Panel add a white stroke to the deviated diesel & bubby whips text and drag the stroke below the characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tiffany,

In addition to the solution by Ton, if you wish the underlying grid to still reach/fill all the space round the black letters as shown in the image, you can:

1) Add the white stroke as suggested by Ton,

2) Still in the Appearance panel, select only the white stroke and change its opacity to 0% in the Transparency panel,

3) Select the deviated diesel & bubby and the 2022, but not the underlying grid, and Group them, then tick Knockout Group in the Transparency panel (enough times) to knockout the stroke area only from the 2022.

Edit: Hi Ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob, that saved me explaining the transparency step 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed Ton, it must be time to attend to the (other) duties we have in the dark hours, before the sun rises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sun is up again, Jacob.

Using the Knockout Group method has the advantage of a single editable text, but it does not play well with drop shadows and when viewed as pdf in browsers or non Adobe viewers like Apple Preview.

To avoid this one could use multiple text objects, one black text with a black stroke to use as an opacity mask to create a hole in the underlying text and one on top with only black text.

Or, with the Knockout Group, Flatten Transparency with Text converted to Outlines and Alpha Transparency Preserved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that saved me pondering over a complete answer, Ton.

It has been quite dark for a quite a while already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is probably never complete, Jacob. There will always be another solution.

It is dark here too, waiting for a storm tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines