• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I turn a path made with the pencil tool into a selection in Illustrator?

Enthusiast ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop I just have to hit Ctrl Enter to make an active path a selection, but it doesn't work in Illustrator.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris P. Bacon 

In Illustrator, use the Selection tool (black arrow) and click on an object to select it. Shift + click or marquee drag to select multiple objects.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are scripts that attempt to do it and I think that plugins can also do it, but all in all try different methods. Besides the selection tool, you can also use the lasso tool. It works similar to the Direct selection tool, but can use a freeform drawn shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I release the lasso tool, I cannot continue the selection, it's all gone if I don't connect the start point to its end point. and that is difficult to select everything in one move and then connect the end with the start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Chris P. Bacon 

The Lasso tool selects anchor points. If you want more than you selected initially, use the Shift key and drag across the ones you missed. You can also use the Direct Selection tool if you want anchor points.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator does not have bitmapped selections, sometimes known as marching ants. Illustrator is a vector based not tile/bitmap based program.

In Photoshop you ctrl enter on on a selected path you get a bitmapepd selection. In Illustrator if you already have the path selected, that is the best you can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines