• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I turn text outlines back to text?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone!

I'm making a design for a client and they gave me the final text to put it into the design. Once I was done they said that they wanted to change the text again, but the problem is that I outlined all the text (it was supposed to go for printing right after). 

I know the chances are slim, but is there any way that I can turn my outlines back into live text? I should have made a copy but i didn't :((((

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, unfortunately not. There's a function in one of the Astute plug-ins for that, though, based on the hidden object info AI retains even after the conversion:

https://astutegraphics.com/plugins/vectorfirstaid

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bit of help with a work around (if you're on a mac) screen grab a text area, then use the text recognition in preview App to select the text, (which it will recognise and process into live text). Then paste into a new text frame in illustrator and line it up over the top and adjust the text formatting to match. delete the outline text for that area, and move on rinse / repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Hosna5ED8,

Thanks for reaching out. As pointed out by Mylenium, Illustrator currently does not have this functionality. Would you mind upvoting this UserVoice (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/331...) and adding your comments there? Doing this will help us prioritize this feature request, and you will keep getting all the related updates.

Alternatively, you could export the document as a PDF and use Adobe Acrobat to grab/edit the text. Here's a help article to get you started: (https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/how-to/ocr-software-convert-pdf-to-text.html).

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines