• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you add an accent mark?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2009 Mar 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in Illustrator and the text I am using requires an accent mark...think at the end of the word touche....it's not a comma or apostrophe it needs to be an accent mark. Is there keystroke combo out there to produce this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Assuming you have an extended keyboard, hold down the Alt key, type the following numbers on the number keypad, then let go of the Alt key:

á: 0225

Á" 0193

This will work in any Windows program. For other accent marks, see:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/keyboard-shortcuts-to-add-language-accent-marks-in-word-3801b103-6a8d-42a5-b8ba-fdc3774cfc76

Good page to bookmark.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option e, then the e. Not sure about other letters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want the accent markk to go the other way. è. like this can't make it happen in PP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By PP, I assume you mean Premiere Pro?

This is an Illustrator forum--you may want to post in the Premiere forum.

However, one would need to know what OS you are using: Mac or Windows. Mac has the Character Viewer and Windows has the Character Map. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, either hold Option+grave (the tilde key at top left on the keyboard) then type "e",

or, if you are using a relatively current system, simply press down on the "e" key until the various accent options appear.

On Windows, there are several ways depending on what keyboard you are using. The two easiest ways are to open up the virtual keyboard from the Task Bar (right click and select "Show touch keyboard"), once open, press down the key of the letter you want until the accent options appear.

or, You can use ALT codes if you have a numeric keypad. Accent grave is ALT+0232 on a numerical keypad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genie,

For all keyboard combinations and special characters use the Keyboard viewer on your mac. It can be viewed by clicking the "show input menu in the menu bar" check box in your international system preferences. You will then see a icon for it in the top right of the finder near or beside the clock. Click on that and choose "show keyboard viewer". This will bring up the viewer and you can then use your option, command and control keys in combination with all characters on the keyboard to get lots of good stuff. :-)

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you do it on Windows, though? not everyone uses a Mac. I've got a PC. I dont have an option key. Nor do i think this thing has a keyboard viewer like that. I'm trying to add the Acute to an a in Premiere Pro. I dont see any glyphs window, or any way on the text tab to add these flourishes. I would appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Option" and "alt" are the same, it depends on how old your keyboard is. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_key

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>"Option" and "alt" are the same, it depends on how old your keyboard is. 

But the Mac KB shortcut does not do the same thing on Windows. The Alt/Opt keys are functionally the same for keyboard commands but not typing. 

For clarity:

Windows keyboards have only an Alt key.

Mac keyboards have an Option key and some, but not all, have Alt in tiny letters on the Option key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I know that the option and alt keys are the same, but Premiere Pro does not have the same controls as Illustrator. I have tried the keystroke combinations mentioned above for Mac, and indeed they do work in my Illustrator, but I cannot find out how to put the symbol in my last line of text in my short video. I have no char map within pro that I can see, so thats why I was asking how to do it from premiere on a windows pc. Ive got a pretty good handle on Adobe normally, and can navigate the controls pretty well. But this isn't something I normally use - the American English language doesnt use that symbol. Its use is a specific request from my client. My equipment and keyboard are all pretty new. Ive replaced my old equipment over the past 6 months or so, so its not outdated equip or apps.

My question was which key combination do I use in order to place the Acute symbol on an A within premiere pro on a Windows PC? All of the instructions I can find are not only for Mac, but for other programs. I cant find the char map, there are no glyphs that I could find either.I know the controls well enough, I'm just missing something here that should be obvious.  I'm primarily an illustrator/vector artist, and am not as comfortable with Pro as I should be. Thanks so much for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>No I know that the option and alt keys are the same,

If you look at the text I quoted [>>] you will see I was not responding to you but to another post.

>>...but Premiere Pro does not have the same controls as Illustrator.

This is, of course, an Illustrator forum so I'm sure you can understand everyone's confusion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know this. My point was that the keystroke combination does not work
on a Windows PC. The option-whatever, to get the Acute symbol, doesnt work.
And I'm trying to use Premiere Pro, not Illustrator. I would appreciate it
if you could help me by giving me the keystroke combination to add Acute
within Premiere Pro. I could understand how to get it on in Illustrator
with the given help, but I tried them for the program I am using and they
are not relevant to the controls as far as I can see.
Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E acute (é) is a standard character in almost all the fonts you use. Just use Character Map to either insert the character, or tell you the shortcut. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there was no alternate for A in this font. I looked at the different options for all the vowels in the font. I cannot find glyphs in premiere pro either. And if there is a char map in the program, I am completely missing it. I already looked for those things. I am pretty familiar with adobe - I've worked with it on a daily basis for almost a decade now. But I am primarily a 2d/vector/illustration artist, doing video graphics for someone i know as a favor even though its not what I do normally, and I'm not as familiar with Premiere Pro as I should be, or want to be. I'm missing something simple I know it, but I cant see it. I would appreciate some detailed help. I know my way around the program well enough to understand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and im not looking for E. I need an A.

so its a little bit harder to find, I think. Its not in this font anyways. Not in any of the fonts the person wants me to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In old days of typing we used to use a’ that was kerned, for lack of other mark, most "pro" fonts have accented glyps, but yes there are fonts that do not have full character sets for all languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey thats a good idea! it's just a single A. I dont have to use it repeatedly. So I can probably wiggle it around and make it look good. Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have an extended keyboard, hold down the Alt key, type the following numbers on the number keypad, then let go of the Alt key:

á: 0225

Á" 0193

This will work in any Windows program. For other accent marks, see:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/keyboard-shortcuts-to-add-language-accent-marks-in-word-3...

Good page to bookmark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creamer Training answered this question correctly, and it worked for me on my Windows keyboard. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this only works with a numeric keypad. Any idea how this should work in laptops without a separate numeric keypad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this only works with a numeric keypad. Any idea how this should work in laptops without a separate numeric keypad?

By @WernerHeisenberg

Correct--that's why my post specified "on the number keypad".

You can use the Character Map program instead. 

You can google it and try some of the suggestions. I googled "how to type in alt characters without a numeric keypad" and there were lots of things to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for now I couldn't find Xhat/carret symbol in charmap but working it out with X bar symbol!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No numeric keypad on Windows PC?

1. Character Map

2. you can get a plug-in USB keyboard for next to nothing

3. if you're really brave buy a keyboard for the language you want to type. Beware: French keyboards are AZERTY not QWERTY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines