• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you create THIS texture?!?!?!?!?!

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's driving me nuts!

The vintage shading below.

http://images.veerle.duoh.com/uploads/inspiration-images/SW-cover-big.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to the spoon for example I would be inclined to recommend doing that in Photoshop.

But I suppose a Scatter Brush could be employed in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator has some of the photoshoop filters applied as an effect. I you go to the Effect menu and half way down you will see the Effects Gallery one of those effects I believe could. Work either as an effect or as a mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also autotrace a piece of whatever images you might have on your computer - basically a gradient with noise when autotraced will prodduce the chunky airbrush look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be another example, just finer texture:

http://i.imgur.com/aZcaU.jpg

It's an old technique, where sign artists, etc would probably take spray paint and spray the noisy, gradient texture over masked off portions of the canvas/sign. I've been meaning to try this style for some time now - digitally of course.

The style relies on a lot of smart shape-play and nice colors. Your posted example is a great one.

I would also default to Photoshop for such a thing, though. So much easier to just brush on this type of texture to a layer with it's transparency locked. Draw everything in Illy, but then save out a layered PSD for finishing in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Though it looks like "sprayed" these "old artists" were not doing it this way. They'd used printmaking technique called litography. And this work was done this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop I would probably use a Hard Mix-Pattern Layer and a Gradient Map to get a similar result.

spoonGrainPsdScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Scatter Brush-approach in Illustrator I mentioned previously does not seem ideal to me.

spoonGrainAIScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2014 Jun 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain in more detail how you achieved this? This looks really good but I don't quite understand the layering. What pattern are you using and how is the stamp effect acheived? thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See th link to Lynda.com in post #18

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you explain whats going on here please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

can you explain whats going on here please?

Please read the complete thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(THIS POST HS NOTHING TO DO WITH ILLUSTRATOR)

Did this poster, today  (painted up in PS, after creating all the linework in Illy) :

4thJuly01.jpg

detail:

spray01.PNG

Used these 3 grungy spraypaint lookin' splatter splotchies as a PS brush with 100% Angle Jitter, nothing more:

sprays.png

Have at it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator with a two fill object one a base color and the other a transparent gradient with the Effect Sponge applied to the gradient fill

Yiou can control the size of the effect pattern

Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 6.26.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 6.39.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stumbled onto something that reminded me of this thread.

Check out what this guy did in Corel Draw, 100% vector he says.

Nice gritty, spraypaint-looking texturing he achieved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm wait a second here folks . . . just hold on!

Wade, I may've spoken too soon. See you really were headed in the right direction. This post officially makes you and I a team! Together, we will conquer JET!  ok  j/k . . .

Check it, y'all:   (this is in Illustrator, BTW)

procedure02.PNG

Took Wade's work and just added Stamp. The available parameters allow you to get it just right. Only thing is that you can't control how large the "chunks" comprising the binary gradient are. So keep you art at the right scale, relative to the Sponge/Stamp texture.

Save it the applied effect as a Graphic Style, or create an action, whatever you wanna do. Your golden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For posterity, I'm re-posting the OP image, along with another I found from the same dining guide, which is by Invisible Creature.

http://i.imgur.com/YOpwK.jpg  http://i.imgur.com/QZjLk.jpg

Wow, what beautifuil work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I've got the answer !

Actually, once you know the trick it is very simple :

First, you duplicate the object you want to apply shadow on

you apply a fill gradient to your copy correponding to your shadow. The shadow dark will be black and the light part will white with 0% opacity.

Then you apply a the filter mezzotint to this gradient (Effect/pixellate/mezzotint) and you choose the kind of grain you want.

Last, you apply multiply or overlay transparency setting to your grain gradient and lower the opacity to your taste (usually 30/40%).

Finally you put the gradient grain part on the orginal part and you done !

Tip : to make a gradient that perfectly fit your form, use the blend tool between a black line and a withe trsparent line.

I hope this help and ask me if you need more info about that !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in illustrator or photoshop?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very outstanding Vintage look I'm going to see here. 35 Beautiful Vintage and Retro Photoshop Tutorials - Smashing Magazine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Bakhtiar UddinUddin

So is your plan to start spamming this forum soon also? Can you stop flooding the other site with your CPI spam, you know exactly the one I am talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines