• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you cut open paths based on object/shape?

Engaged ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel absolutely ridiculous and ashamed for asking this... Seems like something I should definitely know by now, and yet this eludes me and cant find any info anywhere. Maybe not using the right search terms.
I have a row of lines, open paths.

How do you cut selected open paths using shape 02-02.png

I want to make them conform to the inside (or outside) of a shape like the following

Whiteboard Project 03-02.pngHow do you cut selected open paths using shape 01-02.png

The the only two options that work with Pathfinder are Divide and Outline. Divide cuts the circle into horizontal segments based on the lines, while Outline gets closer to the desired outcome, requiring a LOT of cleanup. I have tried changing the layer object order too. The lines are a compound shape, but I have done every variation with just a single line as well without any better results. I need the lines/paths to remain open and not expand them. I have a stroke on them for visual aid only. They will be used in an SVG for Cricut and Laser.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Could be done with a script like SplitPath:

illustrator-scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of ways to do it.

Do you already know all the capabilities of the Shape Builder tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response. Not all that much, really. I did try it for this though, and it would only either delete the lines within the circle, while keeping the exterior lines in tact, or it would keep the circle and inlines as they are, only adding anchorpoints along the circle where the lines intersect. I have a bad habbit of info dumping, so I didn't mention it initially. I feel like Im trying to crack a numerical code that 6-digits... so many possible combinations to go through without any indication if Im getting it close or not.

I chose the script as the "Correct Answer" but I think the Shape Builder has a LOT of merit. I'd still really like to know what ideas you might have so I can learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be done with a script like SplitPath:

illustrator-scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you want to do it with the Shape Builder tool, you can just select all lines plus the circle, take the Shape Builder tool, hold down the Alt key and drag across the parts outside of the circle to delete them.

Note that you can double click the Shape Builder in the main Tools palette to set its options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes!!! Thank you! I didn't know you can hold Alt key to remove material. Thats so awesome. Thank you very very  much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines