• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you photograph or scan a store brought sewing pattern ?

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I would like to know how to photo or scan my paper sewing pattern to scale so I can digitized my pattern using AI.   There are a load of youtube video on tracing the pattern and altering using AI but the first step is missing..   How can I get the best photo result or scan result so I make the right size.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just take a photo.

I'm not quite sure what exactly you're having issues with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I take pictures horizontally on the floor or vertically on the wall,  where should I take the close on and angle or bird eye view to get the best results for tracing lines.  Special setting for the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You will have to draw the lines manually anyway. So any setting that is readable will work.

Your biggest issue will be lens distortion, so your smartphone camera or point and shoot probably won't work for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure everything is straight when taking the picture, a scan should not have that problem.

Measure something on the paper (you may make horizontal and vertical marks at a known distance), create an object the same size and scale the scan using that as a reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to scan your paper pattern in sections, you can combine the sections in Photoshop using File> Automate> Photomerge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

l,

As I (mis)understand it:

At first forget about the exact size, and start with a definite oversize.

0) On the paper with the sewing pattern, add a vertical/horizontal line with an accurate defining length, it could be 100 mm or 4" = 288 pt or whatever, in the unit used;

1) Either scan at highest possible resolution and size if possible, or take a high resolution photo straight on (as Ton has said already) in clear daylight or with a light source that gives an even background.

2) Open a new AI document with the desired Color Mode and unit;

3) Place the scan/photo as a linked file at full size;

4) Zoom in on the defining length line so it fills the creen, then ShiftClickDrag with the Line (Segment) Tool from end to end;

5) Copy the length in 4) which could be 75.5878 mm or whatever;

6) Select both the linked file from 3) and the vector line from 4), then Object>Transform>Scale and insert the following in the Uniform scale box: hundred times the defining length, then /, then the copied length from 5), with a defining length of 100, it would be 10000/75.5878 (this will be 132.3017% but you have no use for the number);

Now you ought to have the right size/scale; you can check by clicking the scaled vector line and looking at the W og H box in the Transform palette;

7) Move the whole thing to fit your Artboard and delete/hide the vector line.

Then you can digitize in the right size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines