• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How often do you personally end up reinstalling Illustrator?

Engaged ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I had a frustrating issue where I would select an object, but the options panel would say something along the lines of "No Items Selected". I did the good ol' Alt+Shift+Ctrl as I open Illustrator. I was frustrated. I feel like some of me is lost when I do that. It fixed that immediate problem... but now Im getting a slue of other issues the very next day. Now Im faced with a grim reality that I'll probably have to re-install Illustrator. I hate it. I feel like saving prefferences and settings and all that is counter productive... I mean, what if something in those is whats caused the issue? So... usually a fresh and clean install. trying to figure out what I had where, and how. It was the same case with Photoshop. 

Does this happen to everyone in the industry? Do professionals have to constantly (every 4-6 months) have to reinstall Illustrator? I have no illegal/ripped software, dont use torrents, tor browser, never visit any questionable sites, don't have any innapprapriate images, or other crap. My virus scans (Malware Bytes and Norton) always come up clean. I have plenty of Memory and nothings being over tasked. And I have plenty of free storage space.

Why does this stuff happen?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry to hear about your struggles, but I have never re installed illustrator. From what I remember other users suggesting, the issues might be third party plugins, font managers, printer drivers, corrupt fonts, etc,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I've never had to, although on the latest install I have had to reset prefs a few times on different files for some weird inability to select text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats similar to the first issue I had leading to my concerns. Selected objects or text and properties would just say nothing selected. Had to reset preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Carlos on this one. I've never reinstalled AI except when switching to a new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your feedback. It's appreciated! Please follow up if theres any other thoughts or suggestions you might have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest you contact Customer Care. They can login to your system to see if they can find the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do that first thing monday. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the helpful suggestions given here, I'd recommend following the suggestions given on this community post for any kind of unexpected behavior within the app. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On windows had to reinstall to fix issues with registry a few times, even though don't use as much as Mac. On Mac never had to reinstall over 30 years. Malware and Norton do not pick up everything. Make a manual restore point once your OS install is tuned up, then you can revert to that, when things go bad. The automatic restore point in windows are not reliable. There was a website advertised in back of magazine that printed custom airfresheners in your logo. Every time I went to that on windows, would get a blue screen infection afterwards. 

Windows also has much more hardware options, so more variables/drivers to get perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truth be told ive always figured that Any sort of restore point is kind of pointless because once I do it, I have to re-install all the driver updates leading ujp to issue, and drivers themseleves unfortunately are 50% of the cause of windows issue. Don't get me wrong, Im not bad mouthing windows at all. I can't ever seeing myself switching from windows. But its undeniable that in just 6months to a year, there are so many driver updates for everything that even if I do the restore point, and it's a driver messin' stuff up, I won't know which one.

Ya, I wonder that about Malware and Norton. If I went the virus scan route, do you have any suggestions for what else might do a better job, or be another layer?

"your logo". . . . as in Varxtis Creations? If so, pls dm me, lol, Im curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never reinstalled in perhaps 12 years except to move computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I envy you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also been fortunate. I have had to re-install drivers, issues especially with Wacom. Sorry for your problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines