Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Achieve High Quality for Full HD Screen

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I had to remake a poster so that it can be displayed on a screen at the cinema. The instructions were "vertical HD 1080x1920". When I use an artboard of this size the text ends up super pixelated and unreadable. Also, the actual screens look much larger...

When I ran into a similar problem for web content I would use an artboard three times this size and it would be automatically resized online without the pixelation. Not sure if I can do this in this case... Or can I just submit them an artwork of 3 times the size and that would be okay for them to display?

Any advice on how to prevent the pixelation - maybe settings when creating the file or specific export settings? Have never designed anything of that sort and I mostly work in illustrator so I'm quite lost here. I would really appreciate your advice.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

If it looks bad in those pixel dimensions, then you have to reconsider the design. As easy as that.

Since it looks like you've never done that before, I would also suggest that you try and get a test run at a similar device to check out your design on the actual device. At those pixel dimensions it cannot be as crisp as in Illustrator. And zooming in is not possible.

Just to make this very clear: I have created designs for screen at a resolution of 640x480 pixels early in my career. Hundreds o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions were "vertical HD 1080x1920". When I use an artboard of this size the text ends up super pixelated and unreadable. Also, the actual screens look much larger...

By @

As a vector graphics application, text in Illustrator should always look sharp while editing. If it looks pixelated, two questions are:

What is the size of the text, in points or pixels?

Is the command View > Pixel Preview enabled or disabled?

If Pixel Preview is enabled, it simulates rasterizing the vector graphics (easier to preview export for web), so they do appear pixelated the more you increase magnification. If Pixel Preview is disabled, any type or vector graphics should appear sharp at all magnifications.

Any advice on how to prevent the pixelation - maybe settings when creating the file or specific export settings?

By @

If it looks pixelated in the exported file, that is about export settings. How are you exporting it and what settings are you using? Can you post a screen shot of what the export settings look like?

One thing is for sure: What is required to meet the job specs is that the exported copy should be 1080 pixels wide by 1920 pixels tall, when you check it in another application. If it is, then the export settings are OK, at least as far as pixel dimensions and resolution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, sorry I somehow didn't include that the question is about Photoshop. I am used to working in Illustrator so I struggle with Photoshop in this case. I tried these and these export settings, also attaching the settings I use to create the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The export settings look correct. The potential issues are not that different in Photoshop compared to Illustrator. Let’s look at some possible causes. When you say you have to “remake” the poster, does that mean you are taking the old poster document and rearranging things, or you are re-creating the poster from a new blank document?

If you are designing in Photoshop in a document that started out 1080 by 1920 pixels, then it should not be pixelated. However, if you are reusing existing elements and scaling them up, that could look pixelated.

When I ran into a similar problem for web content I would use an artboard three times this size and it would be automatically resized online without the pixelation. Not sure if I can do this in this case...

By @

If this is digital signage at the cinema, we don’t know if that would work because it depends on the software displaying the image. If the software requires an exact match to the display, it might require exactly 1080 by 1920, and if that’s true it might not help to send an image with 3x pixel dimensions.

Also, the actual screens look much larger...

By @

You mean the actual screens look much larger than 1080 x 1920 pixels? Because 1080 x 1920 pixels is only a measurement of pixel dimensions, not real world dimensions in inches/cm. Because of that, 1080 x 1920 does not refer to any specific physical size, and in fact exists at many physical sizes. For example, you can have a full HD 1920 x 1080 screen on a 5-inch smartphone, a 9-inch tablet,  a 15-inch laptop, a 55-inch TV, or an 8-foot-wide image from a home theater projector. The only difference is how much area that same number of pixels is spread across. And the important thing is, they can all look equally sharp as long as you are viewing them at a distance that is normal for each type of screen. A 1920 by 1080 px 32-inch TV screen seen from the sofa 8 feet away can look as sharp as a 1920 by 1080 px phone you hold 2 feet from your eyes.

A vertical full HD digital sign is basically a normal full HDTV rotated to be vertical. If the screen is the size of a movie poster it might be 3 or 4 feet tall, but whatever size it is in feet, if it’s vertical HD it will be always be 1920 pixels tall. So if vertical HD is the spec, you export to 1920 px tall regardless of the physical size. If the sign is large, sharpness is not a problem if someone is at a normal viewing distance for a cinema sign…they will see it from maybe 6 to 20 feet away on the sidewalk, or 30 to 100 feet away from a car. At those distances, the relative size of the sign is small enough that people will not see pixels.

Your export settings are not the problem, because what you posted looks fine. When the poster looks pixelated in Photoshop, at what magnification are you viewing the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it looks bad in those pixel dimensions, then you have to reconsider the design. As easy as that.

Since it looks like you've never done that before, I would also suggest that you try and get a test run at a similar device to check out your design on the actual device. At those pixel dimensions it cannot be as crisp as in Illustrator. And zooming in is not possible.

Just to make this very clear: I have created designs for screen at a resolution of 640x480 pixels early in my career. Hundreds of them for CD-ROM games and POI systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines