• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to automate the flatten transparency in illustrator?

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2009 Jun 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to automate the "Flatten Transparency option" in illustrator via javascript. Please share with me.

Thanks

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to be an output option, not something you can activate in an active file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry, Thanks for your response. But my question was i need to apply the flatten transparency(object->flatten transparency) in illustrator active document file for a particular selected items like textframe and pathitems etc. Is it possible via scripting. Kindly share with me.

Thanks..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is as I said an output option. There is no reson to do this until the file is outputted. Your only option is to do this by an action in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have either of you found any other option? Larry, I understand what you're saying, but reading thru the documentation it appears that those output options are for older version of Illustrator. My understading thus far is that being able to Flatten Transparency is necessary to generate an AI file w/o transparency.

I was able to get this to work using GUI scripting along with a tool called cliclick. Has worked pretty well, but with Mavericks I'd like to see if I can abandon GUI scripting altogether.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your purpose for generating an AI file without transparency? If you need an absolutely flat AI file, then save it as AI3 or 8. Neither of these version of AI will honor transparency. In the AI Save Options you would use flattenOutput and PreserveAppearance. Or save as a PDFX-1a which is also a flat file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does AI8 work with all Illustrator versions?

See: IllustratorSaveOptions in C# .NET is not working anymore as expected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have CS6 or newer you can try using menuCommands,

app.executeMenuCommand ('FlattenTransparency1');

let us know if it works, I don't have CS6 to try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2014 Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for the same thing.

app.executeMenuCommand('Flatten Transparency'); works in CC but all it does is it brings up the window and you still have to click OK to make the script continue.

Before anyone asks why do  you want to do it etc. In print thereare instances where you have to open and edit (not text) large numbers of pdfs to change colours, outline fonts etc otherwise there's trouble on print devices.

My script for instance looks for 100K blacks and replaces them with rich black, looks for empty text frames, overprint, bleed settings, clipping paths etc.

The only way to edit successfully a pdf without fonts is to place it and flatten transparency outlining fonts and then work on it.

So back to the point. After the window pops up, is there a way to simulate a keystroke like "Enter" or maybe app.executeMenuCommand('Flatten Transparency'); takes arguments like:

app.executeMenuCommand('Flatten Transparency',preset_name);...?

Anyone? Adobe SDK team? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt, did you ever resolve this?

@Larry, You need to be able to flatten transparency all the time in pre-press to handle missing fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a really old post, but did anyone find a solution? I have the same problem with LaTeX math pdf generated by an illustrator script. This pdf is placed in the open illustrator document. To resolve font issues, I need to flatten transparency with outlined text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines