• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to connect center of circle with line?

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simple.png

Why dont show point of connection of the circle from the center, to the line when turned on Smart Guides, Snap to Point, Snap to Glyph? What else needs to be turn on? The center of the circle cannot be precisely glued to the line. Why?

In the example it is a simple straight line with angle, I know I can horizontal and vertical align the line and the circle, but what if the line is curved?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

While Smart Guides are turned on, click on the centre point of the circle, hold down the Cmd key (Ctrl on Windows) and drag towards the stroked path. Smart Guides will then tell you when there is the desired intersection.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may hold down the Cmd key while dragging the circle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To move a circle along a line, since can't snap center of circle directly where I want on line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremlity,

Is Snap to Grid unticked, or what if it is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremlity_0-1599562680570.png

Snap to Grid it also doesn't work, the center of circle is offset from the line, and move of circle is limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Smart Guides are turned on, click on the centre point of the circle, hold down the Cmd key (Ctrl on Windows) and drag towards the stroked path. Smart Guides will then tell you when there is the desired intersection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This should be easy like dragging the mouse if already turn on Smart Guides, without the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This apparently only works for straight lines. Is there a way to do this with curves or other circles? What I'm seeing is that the smart guides, ctrl combination of clicking and dragging does yield the correct result. While the lines indicating an intersection appear, the center of the circle clearly does not align with a circular stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems fine with curves here (Windows 10, outline mode on for clarity):

Screenshot 2021-11-24 090525.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you clarify what method you are using to acheive this. I do not see how this can be done on my end. The intersection will show, but the result is inaccurate on every attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nevermind. The order of operations in the command is what was confusing. I was pressing ctrl after selection instead of before. It works now. I wish Adobe wouldn't be so opaque in the UI and functionality for these type of workflows. Oh well. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In former versions of Illustrator it used to work without the modifier key, but since the Smart Guides capabilities have been significantly enhanced, it was necessary to include a modifier key in some situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines