• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to constrain text size/scale in a grouped object

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, does anyone how how to constrain text size/width in a text box when resizing the grouped object it is a part of?  That is, if I double the size of the group, or more than one selected object, I want the text to retain the same point size/characteristics no matter what.

I've tried everything - even ungrouping the text box from the other objects but selecting them all at the same time, and the text still scales/strectches.

I can't see a tickbox/option to force-constrain the text anywhere in AI - looked in text flyout menu, area type options, etc.  I'm sure there is a tool/option somewhere - this seems a pretty basic command one would think, but AI doesn't seem to have it front and centre anywhere.

I googled for answers too, but nothing pertaining to exactly this.  Thanks for any help in advance.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You tried to use the Area Text (Text with text frame) so you will increase the size of the text frame not the text itself.
Using the Type tool, click and drag to draw the text frame or double click the point of the point text to convert it to area text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which tool do you use?

• Selection Tool (Black arrow) - should not scale the textsize
  • Scale Tool - scaled
  • Freeform Tool - scaled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixxxelschubser,

I'm not quite sure if you are right with your first point.

As far as I understand the request, we are talking about type objects that are grouped together with some other objects. In that case, scaling with the Selection Tool will definitely scale or stretch the type objects. In many cases one may repair it by using the "Uniform Type" command (see Keyboard Shortcuts) afterwards, but it may fail depending on how one scaled the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone - I resolved this - my situation was I had a box of text aligned with a graphic object and I wanted the bounds of the text box to follow the scale/resize of the graphic object if I wanted to stretch it for example - with the text's point size/appearance remaining constant no matter how wide the text box/graphic object was.

In the end the solution was to click on the edge of the text box with the white arrow tool - and while holding shift - select the graphic object with the black arrow tool. This held both objects together and I was able to resize both without distorting the text.

Thanks everyone for replying and taking the time to do so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought: select (only) the text frame in the Layers Panel and scale with the Selection Tool.

What should always work: apply a paragraph style -> scale -> apply the paragraph style again with [Alt]+click on the paragraph style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines