• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create random dots of random sizes?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the "Scribble" function in Illustrator, but does anybody know of a way in Illustrator (or any other Adobe Creative Cloud program) to fill a page with randomly spaced dots of random sizes? What I want is kind of like this:

https://www.123freevectors.com/white-seamless-random-dots-pattern-vector-102452/

I want to be able to specify how many dots and a range for the radii of the dots (maximum and minimum sizes) and then let the software come up with a random arrangement each time. Any suggestions would be welcome.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try looking for Jongware Circle Fill script. See if that will do what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does indeed look like it would sometimes be useful, but it's not quite what I'm looking for here. I want the circles to have some space between them—kind of like a Dalmatian's spots if they were perfectly round. Any more suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using the script you could use Object > Transform > Transform Each... to scale each circle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll download the Circle Fill script and play with it, too—never hurts to have other options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the plugin Stipplism or ColliderScribe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Monika. Stipplism also looks good, but it appears that all the dots it produces will be the same size. I want dots of various sizes—like the Jongware Circle Fill script produces only with space between the dots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to be replying to myself, but I think I've found exactly what I was looking for: it's called Circle Pattern Generator, and it was created by a developer called Lucky Resistor. There's more information about it here:

https://luckyresistor.me/2020/10/01/circle-pattern-generator/

I'm still open to other suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you found the Circle Generator. FYI, Stipplism will generate different sizes, it all depends on how you set up your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll try Stipplism and play around with the preferences. It looks like it could produce some interesting, fun results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines