• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create this specific shape

Explorer ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I need to create the shape from the image below. The easiest part are the "antenas" so you can disregard them. The first approach would of course be the spiral shape, but it does not allow you to select the space which as you can see it's the same, and then to reduce one ending and increase the other one. I've also been playing with circles, and moving stuff but I'm not getting a desired result.

SHAPE.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

An approximate method:

Worm1.png

1. Draw a straight line across the centre of your artboard. Select the Twirl tool (under the Width tool in the Advanced toolbar), make a brush with a greater diameter than your line's width, place your cursor in the centre of the line, click and hold until you are happy with your spiral.

Worm2.png

2. Cut off/delete part of one of the spiral arms near where the other terminates. Move the end points closer, draw a path to join them to create the tail.

Worm3.png

3. Draw your worm head.

Worm4.png

4. Us

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use the Archimedian Spiral script.

http://shspage.com/aijs/en/

Change the stroke width to match the space in between.

Outline strokes and modify the outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. I downloaded the script and I see it listed, but nothing happens when I click on it. I tried creating a random shape to "convert it?" but no pop up appears. How is it supposed to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An approximate method:

Worm1.png

1. Draw a straight line across the centre of your artboard. Select the Twirl tool (under the Width tool in the Advanced toolbar), make a brush with a greater diameter than your line's width, place your cursor in the centre of the line, click and hold until you are happy with your spiral.

Worm2.png

2. Cut off/delete part of one of the spiral arms near where the other terminates. Move the end points closer, draw a path to join them to create the tail.

Worm3.png

3. Draw your worm head.

Worm4.png

4. Use shape builder (shift + M) to join everything together, then fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Doug! Thanks for your input. I wonder how you managed to get a smooth shape, for me it ended up unrefined when I twirl the line. Did you simplify it later or you got your result at first?

Piter1288_0-1652757659811.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the first result I got with the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. Draw the lighter shape. Worked best for me using freehand tool (it looks like the original was freehand) then adjusting with width tool.

Untitled-1_0005_Background.pngUntitled-1_0004_Layer-2.pngUntitled-1_0003_Layer-3.pngUntitled-1_0002_Layer-4.pngUntitled-1_0001_Layer-5.pngUntitled-1_0000_Layer-6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello there! Unfortunately this method does not allow me to select the same white space  in most of the shape, but thanks for taking the time to reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines