• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to ‘cut a mandala’?

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make something ‘mandala’-like in Illustrator, a circular construction of repeating elements (think of  fancy sliced pizza), you could go about like this (it’s only shorthand…). I’ll first explain what I do, followed by my question. Okay, here goes:

• New file
  • Using the Shift key, draw a horizontal line (with the Line tool) over the width of your page. Using Shift, draw a vertical line, roughly of the same length. Align them, resulting in a cross in the middle of your page.
  • Select all
  • In the Layer window, make sure you have the “Layer 1” layer active – the little circle on the right should be a double circle.
  • Effects >> Transform. Choose “Mirror on X”, “Mirror on Y” (my Illustrator version is not English, so maybe the labels are slightly different). Angle: 30°. Number: 11. Preview on. This should give you 12 lines, neatly focused on the center of your page.
  • Grab a brush, and draw something, anything, not too big, e.g. a freehand circle fitting in one segment. Make sure your freehand circle is closed.
  • Wow: immediately, this circle is repeated all over your 12 line construction. You just made your first mandala! Sort of. So, making a mandala works, roughly speaking. But...

Now my question: how to treat the 'slices' independently?? When I want to use my Live Paint, the bucket will only be active in my original freehand circle and colour it. That fill is repeated in the other 11 circles. I vaguely understand why, but it is exactly what I Don’t want. Instead, for the painting process, I would like Illustrator to consider my ‘mandala’ as 12 individual, independent slices, allowing me to approach my 11 circles (and any closed area) as “manually paintable”.

How oh how could I do this??

I’m using Illustrator CC 2019.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Object > Expand Appearance wil expand the effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object > Expand Appearance wil expand the effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ton, that was indeed the one which did the trick! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Have a look at the Appearance panel, that is where all the applied effects are listed and can be modified until expanded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select All → Pathfinder → Divide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Met1. I had already tried Pathfinder, but to no avail. Also "Ungroup" didn't work. Luckily, Ton Frederiks already gave the correct and working solution: Object >> Expand Appearance. Sometimes, one needs a special type of vocabulary in Illustrator. Next time I'll ask my pizza guy if he can expand the appearance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines