• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to decide the size of artboard for printing?

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm not familiar of using Illustrator for printing. All I know is that the resolution should be high (300dps) and bleeds. But how do I decide the size (wxh) of the artboard?

For example, I'm asked to deisng for a banner print that'll be printed on a stand, what are my steps to know how to size the artboard?

Should I ask them for the dimensions of the banner?

and after i get that dimension, how much should the artboard size be? 

and what about the bleed?

I appreciate any help given

Thanks

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar of using Illustrator for printing. All I know is that the resolution should be high (300dps)

Resolution when setting up a new Illustrator document is only relevant to raster effects (drop shadow etc.). It has no relevance to the overall PPI of the output file.

For example, I'm asked to deisng for a banner print that'll be printed on a stand, what are my steps to know how to size the artboard?

Should I ask them for the dimensions of the banner?

Yes.

It should be whatever size they just told you.

and what about the bleed?

There are standard assumptions/rules-of-thumb, but it's best to ask the printer that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Halah5EF6_0-1636986342202.png

It should be whatever size they just told you.

Won't the size be too big if I use the same dimensions of the banner? Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought maybe I should size it down and when it's time to print they can size it up.

Thank you a lot Doug for the fast reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Won't the size be too big if I use the same dimensions of the banner? Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought maybe I should size it down and when it's time to print they can size it up.

By @Halah5EF6

It is of course possible to work at scale if necessary. But it might not be necessary. You can make a 'normal' Illustrator document up to 5.7m square, and a 'large canvas' file up to 57m square.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crucially, you need to forget about working in pixels. You get a size in inches or mm, and that is what you use. Don't slip into thinking in pixels, that's not relevant. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
use the original size (100 %) inkluding the bleed for your artboard.
you could change the size with "command"+""alt"+"P"
My best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure why you're not asking all these questions directly to your printer - how are you going to design something if you don't know the size they are going to print it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines