• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Drastically Reduce PDF Size with Patterns?

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I see so many posts about this but I never see an answer that works.

I am a graphic designer for a small company and I make presentations in Adobe Illustrator 2020.

Here's my issue- My files are enormous. Some people say there files are huge but they are like 24MB. The one I am working with is 260.4MB. Ideally it would need to be under 10 or 15MB to send in email. I know that is asking A LOT.

The file is 6 pages 8.5 x 11in. artboards. Attached is one of the artboards. They include type, jpg images, vector shapes and patterns. Something about patterns makes files huge but I need to use patterns. Am I making patterns wrong? Object> pattern> make.

Is there an option in there to make patterns not take up so much file space?

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 3.46.09 PM.png

 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

You can try if saving a copy (important!!!) as PDF and then unchecking "Illustrator editability" makes it smaller.

But that is basically it. There are just an awful lot of paths in your file and I suppose there are also large images and the like.

So maybe exporting the artboards as raster files in a barely sufficient resolution will make smaller files. You can automatically rasterize the complete page by forcing a specific transparency flattening when exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try if saving a copy (important!!!) as PDF and then unchecking "Illustrator editability" makes it smaller.

But that is basically it. There are just an awful lot of paths in your file and I suppose there are also large images and the like.

So maybe exporting the artboards as raster files in a barely sufficient resolution will make smaller files. You can automatically rasterize the complete page by forcing a specific transparency flattening when exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the uncheck "Illustrator editability" and it the file went from 8.9mb to 5.2mb. It's smaller but since the original PDF was 502kb, I'm bwildered!

I don't understand how a PDF file that is 502kb swell to 8.9mb.

Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which other options did you check? There are a couple of images in the file - did you turn on compression?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

I've tried everything to make the file smaller, I now have 19 versions of it!

Is it normal for Illustrator to make the original file almost 20 times it's original size? Seems a bit odd.

I opened the original file in Illustrator so I could outline the text as the fonts in the oricinal aren't universal. It also enabled me to line up the 22 pages vertically so I could make everything align correctly.

I even saved one with all the text out lined thinking it would make the file smaller as there would be no fonts to embed...nope. Still large 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Outlined text makes the file larger, not smaller.

But the images might also play a role. Did you compress them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines