• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to expand/inflate shapes with collision?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Illustrator_foULuWlFts.png

 I have this grid of dots that I want to expand, so they take up all the white space between them, while not colliding into eachother (which means they won't be circles anymore, but weird hexagon-ish shapes, depending on how many neighbors they have, except the outermost circles that would still be circles on the outside, albeit bigger ones). Kinda similar to what Substance Painter does with unused parts of the texture, so there are no seams around the edges, but in vector.

Basically divide the white space to the objects evenly, while keeping them separate objects, so I can color them differently and make a mosaic.

Does anyone know what this "technique" is called so I can search it better or know a way to achieve it in Illustrator?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

I found this script: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFbVyHBNNck

I'll try it out later, but it is exactly what I needed.

EDIT: Just to update on the situation: this script was buggy as hell and I couldn't use it properly. However, Inkscape seems to have a perfectly functional Voronoi Diagram Generator built in, and it worked wonderfully! Open Source rules!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a sketch that may explain the desired result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kurt GoldSee the link below your post

@Egor Chistyakov  Yes, that's what I'm looking to do. Thanks for providing a name for it so my searches aren't futile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found this script: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFbVyHBNNck

I'll try it out later, but it is exactly what I needed.

EDIT: Just to update on the situation: this script was buggy as hell and I couldn't use it properly. However, Inkscape seems to have a perfectly functional Voronoi Diagram Generator built in, and it worked wonderfully! Open Source rules!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines