• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export as PNG without the transparency effect being flattened

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm trying to save a piece of artwork that has a section of it using the overlay transparenct blend effect on. I'm exporting as as PNG with transparent background, with the idea that the image can then be placed over the top of any photo and that particular part of the photo with have the blue overlay effect on. However, when I'm exporting, and then dragging the PNG over the top of a photo, the overlay effect isn't there and instead it's just plain blue. Does anyone have any ideas how I can export as a transparent PNG with the overlay effect still in place? Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG can't support Illustrator-native blend modes in the way you're expecting.

Without more context, it's difficult to make sense of your description. If you have the blue swoosh in your composition, with a successfully applied blend mode, what is the reason for exporting it to a raster format, then attempting to replicate the same blend mode effect with the raster image? (And, in case it matters, did you try setting the exported-then-placed raster image's blend mode to Overlay?) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, many thanks for the reply. Basically the swoosh element needs to be saved as a transparent PNG so that my customer can put it over the top of any of their images. They only have basic computing skills and have no access to the likes of Illustrator. The reason I myself put the PNG back into Illustrator was just to test it.

Not sure if you see the 2 attachments on my original post, but it's only a section of the swoosh that has the overlay effect on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PNG files support basic transparency, but not any blend modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines