• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to find Missing Pantone colors in Illustrator 2019, 2020, or 2021?

Enthusiast ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I'm designing a box for a client. I haven't used PMS colors for print in a long time. They want the background to be "CCMI 90" standard black. And the artwork to be PMS 8760 Uncoated (which I believe is a copper metalic color). But I can't find either color in Illustrator's color books. So how to I get them? I've not run in to this issue. I have never even heard of "CCMI" colors. 

Thanks so much for any help you can give me! 

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. You may install the Pantone Connect Plugin (https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud.details.103029.html) to find the missing Pantone colors. After installing the plugin, reopen Illustrator, go to Windows in the menu > Extension > Pantone Connect > Search for the Color. I hope it helps!

Anshul_Saini_2-1631634879613.png

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I did install this extension, but I'm on a Mac... so I'm not sure how to find extensions using the Mac version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for installing it. I am using a Mac device, and for reference, I have shared a screenshot above to locate the extension in Illustrator once it is installed. You can find it by going to the Windows menu in Illustrator > Extensions > Select Pantone Connect, and the Pantone Connect window will open, as shown in the screenshot above. I hope it helps.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! In response to this thread, I tried downloading Pantone Connect and it says 'Not Compatible' with your version of Illustrator. I have the most recent Illustrator version so not sure why it's not working. I'm trying to install PMS 2175C but it doesn't show up when I find in search field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Creative Cloud app updated to the latest version?

Which version of Illustrator are you running? Please give us a number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator V 26.5. See previous screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much, thanks to you I solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charging to add a Pantone to adobe swatch is INSANE. Can't find another word to describe it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are looking for an Uncoated Pantone Metallic Library, it doesn't exist. It's pretty pointless as the very nature of a metallic ink requires a smooth coated surface, hence Coated only. Pantone 8760 is definitely in the Metallic Coated Library. It's a teal metallic, btw.. not copper. If you are expecting copper, you've been given the wrong number.

(It really doesn't matter anyway, because the actual ink is the same no matter what your print it on; they don't mix the ink differently for a coated or uncoated use)

I have no idea what CCMI 10 is. That's not a Pantone colour, but it could be an ink from another matching system your printer uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO it turns out the PMS color was 876 U. But my handwriting made it look like 8760. So that was my mistake. I DO have 876 U. I looked up CCMI 10. And apparently it just is a black that looks like Pantone black. So I'll just use pantone black. Thank you! This is all useful info anyway, as there have been times in the past where I haven't been able to find a PMS color. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. this worked for me but when i searched for the colors i needed it promted me to upgrade to a premium plan to access an additional 15,000 colors. WTF? After all these years of having that easily accessable now I have to pay??? total BS. Very Dissapointed. Please tell me this is not the case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to complain to Pantone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes! i'll do that for sure. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yah, I feel this is going to backfire on them big time. It's like Ikea telling me I have to pay a monthly susbcription to their catalog, whether I buy something there or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so frustrating that they are introducing subscription to use pantone swatches! Is there any other alternative to pantoneconnect to use newer pantone swatches? or is it better to just turn the CYMK process swatch into spot colour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or is it better to just turn the CYMK process swatch into spot colour?

By @ChloeImrie

Most Pantone colors are not repropducable in CMYK color space. That's the reason for their existence. Will you be printing with spot colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post, but I was searching for why some Pantone colors weren't in Illustrator and came across this post.

I believe CCMI is actually GCMI: I use it everyday in corrugated fiber packaging

GCMI (Glass Containers Manufacturers Institute) is a color standard like Pantone but targeted more towards corrugated and paper board. The GCMI color guide was initiated in 1949 by the Glass Container Manufacturer Institute, now known as Glass Packaging Institute. This guide allows us to easily communicate ink options with customers, ensuring beautiful and consistent results. While this guide is helpful you should not use it in place of physical swatches when making a final color decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines