• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to format text above lines

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything for math test above lines with illustrator?

Likes line would have text above it and would automatically fill as I type?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the question(s).

But "and would automatically fill as I type" - area type?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I was using text and it had some errors.

But anyway I want to have ruled lines on a section of the artboard and then I want to have text above those lines similar to what you would have on like a chart or a table. like automatic underlining similar to what you can do with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel, Hi.

InDesign has a much more powerful text engine than Illustrator.

For Underlining text, it’s a Paragraph attribute. You have options for Weight, Type, Offset, Color, Tint, etc.

In Illustrator, the best it gets is a generic Underline, found in your Character panel.

K

Screen Underline.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel,

Certainly. You can:

1) Start typing, then switch from the Type Tool to the Selection Tool,

2) In the Appearance panel Add New Fill and drag it beneath the Characters,

3) With only the Fill selected in the Appearance panel apply three Effects on top of one another, and with the Reference Point set to bottom centre, use Preview to see what you are doing while doing it:

3A) Convert to Shape > Rectangle, Relative with Extra Width and Height set to 0,

3B) Distort & Transform > Transform and Scale vertically only with a percentage giving you the desired line thickness,

3C) Distort & Transform > Transform and Move vertically to give you the desired distance beneath the text;

4) Type on and enjoy.

Click/RightClick to get closer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel,

I have just added a set of images to show the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i would like somthing in exsampel 3C but this is what i endded up with. and im not sure what the referince point is. i gusseing its the grid of Squares bottom left in the same row with copies in right above preview. is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Daniel,

"i gusseing its the grid of Squares bottom left in the same row with copies in right above preview. is that right?"

Exactly, and this is the one you have chosen.

In 3A) Convert to Shape > Rectangle, Relative with Extra Width and Height set to 0, you ought to get a rectangle corresponding to the Bounding Box like the one behind the BL (shown in grey to make the BL stand out instead of blending in, so after that there ought to be only the original instance of text.

What happens if you start by typing Lorem as in 1), then go through the steps 2) through 3C) exactly as they are, and then type ipsum?

Owing to the word math I assumed there would be single lines of text each with a line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines