• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get gradient inside path instead of outside

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue with getting the gradient to show up within the paths. I placed the gradient layer behind the paths and it's showing up on the outside instead of the inside where I need the design to go. I've tried clipping mask but it gets rid of the whole thing. Is there something I'm missing? 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's difficult to tell what I'm looking at here or what result you want.

Do you need the cell shapes to contain a gradient? How are they constructed? What's stopping you from filling them with a gradient instead of using a clipping mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The template was sent to me so I am unsure of how the cell shapes are constructed. This is essentially what I'm needing it to do but when I try to create negative space within the design, it erases the path outline as well. I figured clipping mask would allow me to make changes to the inside without affecting the outside but the gradient is not on a separate layer to allow me to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your first screenshot, the relevant objects are nested in sets of groups. What is in those groups? Can you select individual paths and objects with the direct selection tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can select each individual path. The groups consist of each "fingernail" shape for that row. So there are two groups (top and bottom row) and within the group are the individual path shapes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't need to be a compound path if they're all the same top-to-bottom gradient. Can you select one of the 'fingernail' shapes with the direct selection tool and assign a gradient fill?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, And it places the gradient with the path so it cant be separated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be exactly what I want because I'm able to edit each path individually but I need the black outline for printing and when I go to erase to create negative space, it erases the black outline as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did I miss something in your initial post? What do you need to create negative space from?

Can you create a copy of the shape with just the outline and bring it to the front?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry. It sounds like I'm confusing you. 

So my initial question was to try and figure out a way to separate the path from the gradient layer through clipping mask because I need to remove some of the gradient layer but I was having a hard time achieving the desired result. 

I am able to get the gradient inside the path by the direct selection tool but when I go to design the negative space, it covers or erases the path outline. The gradient and the path are on one layer so I figured this is why.

So I guess to better phrase my question, is there a way to separate the gradient from the shape path so I can edit the gradient without affecting the template outline? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Create two sets of objects -- one with a gradient fill, and one with the path outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want one graphic in multiple paths, those paths need to bne a compound path. I would recommend to first release all groups, then make the compound path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines