• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import blocks in .dwg files as groups?

New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment when I import .dwg file all the blocks will be imported as separate elements. Is there a way to avoid that and import the blocks as groups?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to use a third-party plugin like Astute Graphics or HotDoor to auto-join associated broken paths. DWG files always come in as line segments instead of grouped/joined paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is not about paths, all the lines are imported as they should. The problem is with objects, for example thousands of circles, that are gouped in to a block in .dwg file but are imported as single elements and not as a group. I have searched for a plugin to fix that but haven't found in the descriptions anything about fixing the groups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dwg does not honor grouping. Everything comes in as a single path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open a dwg with CorelDraw, the blocks are imported as groups. If I open the same dwg file with Illustrator there are no groups, just single elements. I wanted to switch to Illustrator and thought that maybe there is a simple solution for that problem because recreating the blocks/groups would be too time consuming...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file originated from CorelDraw - it would still honor the grouping. I've never had a DWG or DXF come through with groups created in another application. They all come in as single items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you share a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .dwg sharing is not supported here so I put the file in the cloud (hopefully this sharing method works). In this sample all the squares are grouped in to one block and all the circles into another.
https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZdkRLZbgTDVfS40ebkJjahCa8cepupR5WV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be scripted since the circles and squares are named. Do you need to process these kinds of files often?

in the meantime, you could manually group them somewhat easily

- open the file

- select one circle

- click on Start Global Edit button on the Properties Panel

- change the stroke

- select all items with the same stroke

- group

- repeat above for squares

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It does not help you right now, but just a note: In older versions of Illustrator (at least up to CS5 or CS6) the DWG import used to be able to handle blocks as groups pretty well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines