• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make these nice gaps and what is this method called?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, as as circled in the photo, i want to learn how to make these gap. I saw a video but unfortunetly forgot what this method is called. thanks in advance.

Monogram-Logo-of-the-Letters-SL-Graphics-8105393-1-580x387.jpg

TOPICS
How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

TOLGA,

Presuming vector paths (rather than raster or live Type), you can proceed in a rather simple way, either leading to simple paths visible in front of whichever background you choose and especially suitable for a logo consisting of just the white paths (involving a simple Pathfinder operation), or leading to a similar appearance with masking (involving a simple Opacity Mask), shown below in a simplified form in the steps 1) - 4A/4B):

1) Make sure the double S shape forms a Compound Path

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Destruktiv: Pathfinder

Editable: Knockout group

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With some cheating you could also do it using Intertwine. The "gap" will then need to have the same color as the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOLGA,

Presuming vector paths (rather than raster or live Type), you can proceed in a rather simple way, either leading to simple paths visible in front of whichever background you choose and especially suitable for a logo consisting of just the white paths (involving a simple Pathfinder operation), or leading to a similar appearance with masking (involving a simple Opacity Mask), shown below in a simplified form in the steps 1) - 4A/4B):

1) Make sure the double S shape forms a Compound Path and is beneath the I shape at the bottom of the stacking order (Layers palette), and make sure the L shape (just shown as a horizontal line) is at the very top;

2) Click the I shape to select it and use Object>Path>Offset Path with an offset equalling the desired gap on either side of the I, then change the colour of the Offset Path (which is beneath the original I shape) to black; then repeat for the L shape;

3A) For the appearance with masking, ShiftClick the black offset path of the I shape and the double S hape to select both parts, then in the Transparency palette Click Make (Opacity) Mask; this will give the apparent gaps on either side of the I shape;

4A) Repeat 3A), only selecting the L shape and the I shape;

3B) For simple paths with real gaps, ShiftClick the black offset path of the I shape and the double S hape to select both parts, then use Pathfinder> Minus front; this will give real gaps on either side of the I shape;

4B) Repeat 3B), only selecting the L shape and the I shape.

Both 4A and 4B look the same, and they correspond to the Editable/Destructive approaches mentioned by pixxxelschubser.

Click to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TOLGA,

Just a few comments:

Using a Compound Path for the double S shape keeps both options open; it could also be a Group for the Opacity Mask but that would be no easier.

Correspondingly, using black is only necessary for the Opacity Mask, but in any case a colour contrasting the white letter parts makes it easier to see what is happening.

When following a non editable/destructive approach as the Pathfinder way here, always keep a backup of the artwork from before the decisive step; and from before beginning on steps you may change your mind about: Undoing can be(come) too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines