• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to put an image on top of a white circle?

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a white elipse using the shape tool in Adobe illustrator.  I then opened an image so that I have the elipse and the image in a single layer as pictured below. 

Jonathan22653123dn92_0-1642157632469.png

The resulting image looks like this.

Jonathan22653123dn92_1-1642157681754.png

I am trying to have the image just over the circle and save it as one.  When i try to export as PNG the background completely dissapears and i am left with no circle as my background.  It seems to take just the image and gets rid of the elipse shape and I get the following.

Jonathan22653123dn92_2-1642157872629.png

Even if i change background color to white it just fills the entire background not the white elipse shape.  My question is: How do i get the image and the white elipse to merge as one so that the image is on top of a white circle? Please help, I have tried everything.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you apply a white fill to the ellipse?

Can you select it and show the appearance panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you move the white circle below the image? Did you selct them both or group them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Monika already guessed, the thumbnail in your Layers palette just indicates that the circle has no fill and stroke attributes. On the artboard it may look as if it is filled with a white fill colour, but apparently it is not.

Should be easy to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double check to see that the center circle is indeed filled with white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. In the Layers panel take the image and move it up. You also can select it on the artboard and click Ctrl(Cmd)+] to move the object up directly.

2. Follow the other colleagues' suggestions, check the ellipse attributes, set Fill as White, Stroke as None (now it looks like both are None).

3. Export as PNG with transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines