Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to recreate this circle with just top of image sticking out

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm looking to re-create the red circle with the top of the image sticking out whilst the bottom is neatly tucked in.

I have tried using the clipping mask to place the image into the circle, but how do I make it so that just the top part of the image comes out of the circle?

Many thanks for your advice.

Ross

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. You need to create a clipping mask starting with a duplicate of the red circle and editing (with the pen tool, for example) it to make sure don't hide the head.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several possible ways. This sample Illustrator file shows just one of them.

James Bond

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be right, Ton. But be careful.

My friend Auric Goldfinger recently told me that Bond‘s avocados are just a mock and a very tricky lure to catch and quarter you with a laser.

In private, Bond prefers to take some pears, of course whisky-preserved.

That‘s why he always won and always will win the games. Pears as Brosnan a bit later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt,

Thank you, thats exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm still a newbie to illistrator so now I just need to work out how to replace the fruit with another picture 🙂

Regards,

Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ross,

Can you show a sample of/resembling what you are actually starting with.

From the description you are (presumably) starting with a raster image corresponding to the original JB photo, along with a circle corresponding to the red one; and then you wish to only have the one on the photo shown within the circle, apart from the top where it is sticking out.

The possible solution(s) depend(s) on whether you wish to have only the one shown within a solid circle, or you wish to have the circle filled with the photo outside the body/head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, Ross has already shown an example and as far as I can see it is pretty obvious what he is going to do.

Therefore my sample file with one possible way. And in case the raster image already has a transparent background there is no need to do further edits in Photoshop, as Mike suggests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt,

I was in doubt, and still am; and I see the screenshot as more or less representing what Ross wishes to end with, quite possibly only partially, rather than what he is starting with.

I was/am most inclined to believe that Ross has a full photo to be (mostly, apart from the top) kept within a circle, and most likely no solid red at all but all photo within, the latter because of his mentioning a Clipping Mask.

Mike seems to have assumed the same about the photo as did I, and suggested some PS work under the assumption of a solid circle round the body/head where I expressed my doubt an hour earlier.

At first I thought that there was no reason at all to even consider posting anything when you had already posted the undoubtedly best answer, but then the double (or one and a half) doubt came.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Jacob, some thoughts may be pretty entangled.

And of course I have not posted the best answer, just one possible route one may go.

Let's see what Ross is thinking about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Kurt.

I really enjoy the more intriguing challenges we encounter here, including that of grasping the (intended/sometimes well/completely hidden) meaning of questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

Many thanks for replying.

The end goal is to try and copy the exact layout including the red showing like in the original.

Once I have a suitable photo I would like to replace bond with myself 🙂 Don't we all! 🙂

However, as I have absolutley no idea how to place myself into the red circle with my head sticking out slighlyt at the top, I thought I should try and find out.

It's all very compliacted 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing, Ross.

Have you seen and tried out the solution by Kurt who had fully grasped the meaning of your question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jacob,

Yes indeed, I'm trying to reverse enginner it with no luck at present due to be rather new at all of this.

However, I will keept trying 🙂

Thanks.

Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should really edit the James Bond image on Photoshop to drop out the background, and save as .psd, At the pixel level you can get in tighter, and also have levels of gray in your mask so the edge is not hard.

Then use a copy of the red circle as your mask in illustrator, then make the top half of mask larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines