• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to revert outline stroke to normal path editing mode?

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! So I'm new at this whole illustrator thingy and i have a question:

I wanted to edit a stroke I've drawn with the drawing tool, and selected Object > Path > Outline Stroke.

After doing so it seemed like i was able to edit the outline of the stroke, but i couldn't figure it out how to revert it to normal path editing mode.

Anyone could help?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Like I said, you cannot revert the Outline stroke command.

Like Jacob suggested, if you want to modify the stroke contour, use the Width tool instead.

stroke.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Hi.

There IS a way though, to get a path back. It won't be exactly the same but almost the same.

1. You have a path with a stroke. This is the situation in the first image: a path with a coloured stroke.
  2. Go to 'Object > Path > Outline Stroke' to outline it, which is what you did and what you can see in the second image: this is a path with a coloured fill.
  3. If you close the file and then decide you want the stroke back, you will need to do something else. Go to 'Object > Path > Offset Path. Choose the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot revert the command. Once outlined it has become a path instead of a stroke.

If you did not save the file maybe you can select undo a couple of times to get back to the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vardas,

Depending on the way you wish to change the stroke, you may have a look at the Width Tool.

How to paint with fills and strokes in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you didn't understand the question. I was editing the stroke, by using the command Object > Path > Outline Stroke. After doing so, i was able to edit the outline of the stroke. After that, I wanted to start editing the PATH again, but couldn't seem to be able to exit out of the outline editing mode. Take a look at the illustration below. ThanksPLS HELP.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, you cannot revert the Outline stroke command.

Like Jacob suggested, if you want to modify the stroke contour, use the Width tool instead.

stroke.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the direct selection tool, select the outlined stoke only (it is now its own shape). Then simply delete it using your delete key on your keyboard. After deleting the stroke you can now add a new stroke on the fill of your original shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm late to the game, however, if you've outlined the stroke of a shape and want to convert it back to a shape will fill properties, highlight the shape --> go to Properties Tab -->Quick Actions--> Release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct answer has been given above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

There IS a way though, to get a path back. It won't be exactly the same but almost the same.

1. You have a path with a stroke. This is the situation in the first image: a path with a coloured stroke.
  2. Go to 'Object > Path > Outline Stroke' to outline it, which is what you did and what you can see in the second image: this is a path with a coloured fill.
  3. If you close the file and then decide you want the stroke back, you will need to do something else. Go to 'Object > Path > Offset Path. Choose the lowest negative option there is, if the value is too low you won't see a result which is helpful. Remember you don't have to use whole numbers, just use the value that works best for your object. You can see the result in image 3, I left it a bit 'thick' so you can see it well. Both objects are left behind which is terrific.
  4. But you can remove the 'thick one' 🙂 You can see this in image 4.
  5. Next, hit 'c' to select the 'Scissors' tool. Cut the thin object in the places where you can visualise the path you had before, I show this in image 5. This is still an object with a fill, so...
  6. You can see what happens in image five: I now have an object with a stroke instead of a fill. This object is similar to the path you had before, before you hit 'Expand Stroke'.
  7. But you might want to make it neater: it's very likely that your path has too many anchor points. So, go to 'Object > Path > Simplify'. Turn on the preview to see if the result will be okay.

Let me know 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mica - just wanted to say that was a super helpful breakdown, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! ❤ It's nice to help, and Illustrator has been my favourite ever since I learned using it, can't put it down! 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines