• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to send graphic styles from one Illustrator doc to another?

Participant ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm newish to Illustrator and am trying to figure out how to send about 10 graphic styles from one AI document to another. I use Windows 10 and Illustrator 2020. Below is the relevant documentation, but neither option seems to match what I see on my screen. I've included a screenshot showing the two Illustrator documents. While I'm at it, what's the difference between a graphic style and something I've saved in a library, like an image of a Parking icon? Thanks in advance for any help!

-- Bill

Import all graphic styles from another document

• Choose Window > Graphic Style Libraries > Other Library or select Open Graphic Style Library > Other Library from the Graphic Styles panel menu.

• Select the file from which you want to import graphic styles, and click Open.

The graphic styles appear in a graphic style library panel (not the Graphic Styles panel).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you have to do:

Open the document in which you want to have the graphic styles.

Then in the graphic styles panel menu go to "Open Graphic styles library"

In the dialog you can open any AI document or something from the default library.

Then you will get the graphic styles in another panel.

In that panel you click on the graphic styles and copy them to your current document.

Artwork can be saved to the Creative Cloud library. Or a a symbol to a symbol library. It just a different kind of library item. Graphic styles cannot be saved to a Creative Cloud library as of now. You have to apply them to some object and then save that object to a creative cloud library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thank you for your help -- that's great. Apologies for my delayed reply; I thought I would get a notice about the reply. Anyway, that is very helpful, and I've figured out how to get a version of my graphic styles into the second document. I do have one follow-up question, though. I noticed that I can't delete any of the styles from the new graphics styles library like I can in the original document. Here's a screenshot. I noticed that the original document has a "Graphic Styles" panel, while the second document now has a "Hiking book graphic styles" panel (that's the name I gave it), and they're not quite the same. I'm confused about what's going on here, and the documentation isn't helpful. Any more advice very welcome! Particularly how to delete all the repeat graphic styles shown in the new document (circled on the right in the screenshot). Thanks!

-- Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aha! I figured it out. I copied and pasted all the styles from the "Hiking book graphic styles" panel to the new document's Graphic Styles panel, and then I was able to delete all the duplicates. I'm still a little fuzzy on how this all works, but I'm starting to get the gist of it. Thanks!

-- Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines