• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to snap type to the underside of a grid line?

Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is easy enough in Illustrator to get type to snap to a line it is sitting upon...but can I also get it to snap to the underside of a gridline? See screenshot: I really want the top of the "Y" to align with the horizontal gridline, not the bottom of it. Alternatively, is there a shortcut for tuning off Snap to Grid for individual objects, so that I can quickly place it just by eyeballing it?

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.22.12 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

1. You can assign a Keyboard Shortcut.

When you select the texts with the GuideLine, they will sit on the GuideLine.

I am sharing screenshots of different panels.

2. Apart from the above operations, you can create an ACTION and assign a function key for this action.

PANEL.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You can assign a Keyboard Shortcut.

When you select the texts with the GuideLine, they will sit on the GuideLine.

I am sharing screenshots of different panels.

2. Apart from the above operations, you can create an ACTION and assign a function key for this action.

PANEL.jpg

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fundamentally, all fonts are defined and positioned relative of the baseline, so what you ask for doesn't exist.

Converting to outlines would give you a shape that can snap to a grid of course, but I know that's not what you want.

You could possibly add a baseline shift so the font is skooched down beneath the baseline, but that value would change depending on your type size, so I don't see that as a practical solution. Besides, even if you snapped to the top of your Y, the cap height of other letters will be different.. e.g. the top of an O would be higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines