• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop illustrator adding a mask when placing items ?

New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm placing many items onto an artboard in illustrator. The problem is that when you place items illustrator adds extra boxes around the drawing with no easy way to get rid of them.

You can click release mask, then ungroup then manually delete each mask but we are placing hundreds of items and this takes forever.

There must be a simple solution to stop this?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how are you placing exactly what?

Can you please show screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator doesn't add a mask to placed objects. What is the source of the items you're placing? Please detail the exact steps you're performing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen this behavior. Are you placing, or pasting from other applications?

If you are placing and seeing this, what is the format and source of the images you are placing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm placing illustrator files xyz.ai usin file -> place

When I place theres a mask as you can see and this adds two extra boxes I don't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

note that I moved the boxes so you can see them as they're all on top of each other

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you place an Illustrator file embedded it will place the PDF version, which causes all effects to be expanded and layers to be lost and additional clipping paths as a bonus.

Copy and paste with Paste Remembers Layers is a better option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for the explanation, copy and pasting is not a practical solution for me, I'm actually using a script to place the items and copy and pasting would take far too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultuxur86aeed3j wrote:

I'm actually using a script to place the items and copy and pasting would take far too long.

For testing purposes, can you start a new file, then choose File > Place to see if you still get the extra "boxes"?

• File > Place puts an image into the document. It is not editable in the new file and it may or may not be linked to the original file, depending on what was selected.
  • Copy and paste puts editable paths into the new file.

What do you see in the Layers panel before and after you run the script?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, still get the extra boxes if doing it manually or via script. all placed files are .ai and created in the same program.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your script can do a copy and paste.

You can also add your vote here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/450...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may create a simple action that would delete all clipping paths in one shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines