How to turn off Large Canvas feature from a PDF out of Illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using Illustrator 2022 and I am taking the .ai files from my clients and I have to save them as .pdf for our printers. If I save them as a .pdf I sometimes get an issue where it enlarges the file size by 10.

From my research I found out that there is a new large canvas feature that scales the files by 10, and I want to know how to tell if the file has it and also how to get rid of it. I work for a commercial printer and I am experiencing this issue a lot recently, the only way I have found to get rid of the large canvas setting is to take the large canvas document and copy and paste it into a normal document. This is time consuming and I would like to be able to toggle this off more easily.

I guess what I am asking is how does this setting work and how can I tell when a file is setup as a large canvas and how can I easily shut it off so that it works like a normal canvas and not the large canvas with the scaling feature that is messing with my workflow? I can never tell which file is setup with large canvas because sometimes the file size seems normal until I go to print and it comes out as a scaled down size (so 42 x 119 is coming out as 4.2 x 11.9) or sometimes when I save it out as a .pdf I am getting (420 x 1119 instead of 42 x 119)

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That feature cannot be turned off.

But when saving or opening a PDF you have some options: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/large-sized-canvas-troubleshooting.html

Maybe that helps in your situation?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that clears up some questions I had.

It sounds like it is based off the document and cannot be changed which is where it is throwing me off. The designers are creating a large canvas and then filling it up with a bunch of smaller artboards so when I go to try to save them as individual .pdfs, even though the individual artboard sizes are within the limitations of the smaller canvas which I believe to be 227 x 227, the document still reads it as a large canvas and so when I go to print the size gets scaled down because my printer doesn't recognize the .pdf settings correctly. Which is why the copy and pasting into a entirely new document seems to be the only sure way to fix it that I have come across.

Is there a way to submit a feature request to have this possibly be a feature added in the future? Something like where if I go to save the .pdf, there could be like a check box or something that says "default back to normal canvas size" or something so that it gets rid of that large canvas feature and it could pop up with an error if the artboard size is too large to save it with that turned off? 

Just a thought. Thanks for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines